Author Topic: 86 reg cab truggy, 52HP diesel, dual cases, stock axle gearing&birfs, ?TIRES?  (Read 2281 times)

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Im considering building a truggy,
if I do it will be a 2wd cab  with a 1.6 vw diesel pumping out 52hp and 71ft lbs
stock axle gearing and stock birfs.
might go duals and shorter wheel base later but not sure
what size tire would you run OFFROAD only
will have stockers for street use... and maybe a trailer for hualing wheelin tires out.

Im just trying to do this for pennies on the dollar....

I dont care HOW IT LOOKS on stockers OR on offroad tires...
I will push the axle a foot forward if needed as well as tub the cab......
just looking for advice..

I have, the diesel, w56c with case, front and rear axles... and an 86 IFS frame with stock rear springs..
welded diff for the rear.. junk lockright for the front (its what I have) kinda thinking about linking it up front and not lifting the rear much. like maybe some 2" lift blocks add a leafs shakles drop hangers... but coils and home build links of front, Im kinda not sure on the links though..... I have factory FJ60 steering box and knuckles arms, so I could go with factory crossover..... but not highsteer and save ALOT of money as well as push the axle forward a foot literally without any steering issues

start bashing or giving some quality insight.

ALSO, the cab I might be able to get for a little work around a friends house... its a 2wd with a 22r that lots its timing chain... he wants a bed trailer... if I make him a bed trailer. I might be able to get the titled cab, engine and trans..... and let him keep the frame rear suspension and bed.....

anyone have any ideas?
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

89sastoyo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 148
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
I wouldn't run anything other than 38s-39.5s offroad only I mean where i wheel everything is rutted out to that size so smaller your not making it. I would go with a tsl or an irok i like iroks better but my tsls DO WORK. The plan you have sounds good..
89 extra cab stock on 1 tons.
83 rolled with built toy axles
92 2wd DD
first gen cab

Check out the build.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56487.0

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
I was looking at 40" MTRs, look like they would do alright offroad and still feel alright on the street. My boggers never bothered me... but, a nice quite ride wouldnt hurt either
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
if your running stock birfs stay 36 and under if you want a chance of keeping them

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
I dont mind breaking birfs... honestly... might pick up a set of that other companies $69 each 4340 birfs. not sure though as that might be incentive enough to pick up longs

89sastoyo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 148
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
yeah for sure. I mean I wouldnt let stock birfs scare you from running a certainn size tire. I wheeled with stock birfs really hard for like 6 months with no air in my tires and only broke one. Also if you wanna get your stock ones cryoed by bobby I think that it helps cause one of mine was and I rallied and it never broke or cracked.

4d inch mtrs are sick I would get them if I had the cash flow but they are pretty expensive
89 extra cab stock on 1 tons.
83 rolled with built toy axles
92 2wd DD
first gen cab

Check out the build.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56487.0

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
yeah, Im actually considering those boggers that are on the board right now... they are bald in the center but 200 for rims and tires aint bad.... its funny, five years ago, 35s were HUGE for a toyota...lol, now those are considered basic trail tires