Author Topic: New Project 4runner Trans popping out of 4th and 5th  (Read 2424 times)

Spulen81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
New Project 4runner Trans popping out of 4th and 5th
« on: Jun 19, 2006, 11:33:34 AM »
I finally found a decent project truck up here in Upstate NY.  There are very few older Toyotas around here due to the salted roads and massive rust.   I almost gave up and bought a Jeep. :headshake:  Its an '87 4runner, it has some issues and a little rust on the wheel wells... actually I bet some of you guys out west would junk it, LOL.  Its in great shape for the area though..  One of the other problems it has is that it pops out of 4th and 5th gear.   I haven't actually had a chance to experience this first hand, the clutch actually went in my driveway before I got to test drive it.  It felt fine in 1st and reverse though but grabs right off the floor.  I really had to mash the pedal or it wouldn't go in gear.  Are there some common things that may cause this?  i want to make sure its not something simple before I tear the whole thing out.  I did search and came up with a couple things such as shifter bushings and detent springs but didn't find much more detail on how to diagnose the issue or how to tell if they are really bad.
'86 4Runner TDI (VW)
'87 4Runner parts truck

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
well, first you need to bleed the clutch,  it is a hydraulic  clutch  with a small mastercyl on the firewall and a slave  on the bellhousing

make sure the pushrod on the slave isnt too tight,  or in this case too loose,  and make sure it has plenty of fluid in it
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Spulen81 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
The clutch did work driving it on the trailer and taking it off and driving it into the garage.  Later on I moved it again the clutch was not disengaging at all.  I couldn't put in gear.  Maybe I my clutch master or slave is shot or there is a leak somewhere although I haven't seen any fluid dripping yet.  I will try bleeding it tonight and go from there.  Thanks
'86 4Runner TDI (VW)
'87 4Runner parts truck

Spulen81 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
OK, the clutch master had no fluid, I added some and its leaking at the slave.   One problem is solved.   Now why would it pop out of gear?  It pops out once its already in gear so its not clutch related.
'86 4Runner TDI (VW)
'87 4Runner parts truck

Spulen81 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Ok, so I will try the shifter bushings first.  It definetly can't hurt anything. 
'86 4Runner TDI (VW)
'87 4Runner parts truck

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
thats what i was going to say, shifter seat and bushing, 

and get a new slave  and bleed it then it should be working good,

when you get it moving does it stay in gear if you hold it in??

and if your holding it it and accelerate and let off do you feel it pushing forward and back in the shifter??   if so :yikes:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Spulen81 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Haha, I have to test drive it again and see what it does.  I'll come back with some more details.  Thanks for your help.
'86 4Runner TDI (VW)
'87 4Runner parts truck

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
When mine wasn't holding 4th it was fragged input bearing. $200 worth of bearings and its like new.