Author Topic: Is there anyway to fix the crimp on S.S. brake lines?  (Read 2313 times)

yota-tota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Male Posts: 232
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
Is there anyway to fix the crimp on S.S. brake lines?
« on: Jun 18, 2006, 07:21:47 AM »
I was bleeding my brakes yesterday and noticed some brake fluid leaking from the crimped part of the line where it goes into the female fitting in the line. Is there anyway to fix this? Or will i have to spend 100 + on new lines?
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
how close to the connector is it? you can get the brake line tool if its really close and just shorten and crimp it.
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
I was bleeding my brakes yesterday and noticed some brake fluid leaking from the crimped part of the line where it goes into the female fitting in the line. Is there anyway to fix this? Or will i have to spend 100 + on new lines?

I would say no, the crimp on these are done with a special machine and use a lot of force to crimp the fitting into the line and are strictly tested and inspected for DOT use.  Besides think of the safety aspect of it, I know SS lines are $ but its your ass and others thats counting on those brakes to work. Marlin sells a 3 piece line kit for $80
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/brakes/lines.htm
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2006, 09:11:08 AM by KYOTA »

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
I would say no, the crimp on these are done with a special machine and use a lot of force to crimp the fitting into the line and are strictly tested and inspected for DOT use.  Besides think of the safety aspect of it, I know SS lines are $ but its your ass and others thats counting on those brakes to work. Marlin sells a 3 piece line kit for $80
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/brakes/lines.htm

Ya that's what i figured...right now it doesn't leak much (not enough to change pedal pressure) but over a week i would have to top it up with fluid. I'm going to try and get one from a motorcycle shop tomorrow as i would like to keep the S.S. lines on both sides. If i was in the US i would go marlin all the way but i'm in Canada and it would take over a week for shipping plus what ever duty.
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
screw 2 stockers together while you wait for shipping??

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
I dunno we do them at the shop with a napa crimper all the time...  Doesn't seem to high tech to me.
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
okay i missed the S. S. part of this post.    :hammerhead:

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
screw 2 stockers together while you wait for shipping??

ya well that's the last thing i need to get my truck rolling again after the SAS so i'll probally just wait till i new the new line.....if i didn't chop my old rubber lines i would do that. :hammerhead:

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
ya well that's the last thing i need to get my truck rolling again after the SAS so i'll probally just wait till i new the new line.....if i didn't chop my old rubber lines i would do that. :hammerhead:

oops :smack: those stockers are your trail spares

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
Mike said they could get them to you in a couple days didnt he?

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
ya i didn't even think about keepin them for trial spares as i got a little to eager to chop stuff  :flamer:

Ya Mike's going to hook me up on monday so all should be good :beerchug: