Author Topic: Longfield steering stop adjustment?  (Read 3618 times)

Yota4life

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -128
  • Male Posts: 1,461
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Longfield steering stop adjustment?
« on: May 23, 2006, 10:39:08 PM »
Iv been running the most recent 30spline set from longfield and i am a little confused about the steering stop adjustment. Is it true that they can turn up to 45degrees? I read once that you can set your stops to when the felts just touch the inside of knuckle welds. Right now thats how i have them set but I just want to get it right.
88 Toyota Pickup with some stuff...
Build up: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11133.160

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
Re: Longfield steering stop adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 10:44:52 PM »
yeah thats how they work, sweet huh?  just don't let it turn too much and crush the felt retainors or else youll be leaking all over the place like mine

Yota4life [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 03:42:44 PM »
Thats great then. iv seen rock rings that are 1/8" thick that you could replace yours with. The longs make a toyota actually have a decent turn radius

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 04:24:17 PM »
yeah i wanna get those rockrings

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 06:11:24 PM »
Hells yeah, the testing says the longs can out-turn the knuckles!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

FatAzzRunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -191
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Jul '02
  • Kansas, Flexin on cowpatties
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 09:43:31 PM »
mine have held up good so far and "LIKE AN IDIOT"  I have never checked my steering stops.  I tried to screw mine out far enough to where they touch the stops just before the felt hits................................................UUUHHHHHHHHHHH, no luck, with my backspacing and spacers, My stops only touch in the back and that is just barely with them screwed out almost to the point of falling out.   :smack: 

I am currently trying to find someone who knows a specific bolt that is longer than the stock stop screws by 1" and the same threads..........Any ideas?

85 Runner, 5" All-Pro Extreme Lift, Complete Marlin T-Case with new TS 4.7 gears, Super Birfields(Longfields), 5:29's, Detroited front, Spooled rear, 36" TSL's, Bikini top.

Yes, Livin in Kansas sucks azz!!

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 09:57:51 PM »
I have never checked mine either.  Seems to be working ok.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 10:06:51 PM »
mine have held up good so far and "LIKE AN IDIOT"  I have never checked my steering stops.  I tried to screw mine out far enough to where they touch the stops just before the felt hits................................................UUUHHHHHHHHHHH, no luck, with my backspacing and spacers, My stops only touch in the back and that is just barely with them screwed out almost to the point of falling out.   :smack: 

I am currently trying to find someone who knows a specific bolt that is longer than the stock stop screws by 1" and the same threads..........Any ideas?

Find out what size it is from the dealer or take it somewhere, maybe a parts store, and play the trial and error game.  Call Fastenal, Tacoma Screw or Qualified Fasteners for just about any possible screw on the planet.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Lee

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
    • Louisiana Off-Roader's Forum
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 09:00:21 AM »
mine have held up good so far and "LIKE AN IDIOT"  I have never checked my steering stops.  I tried to screw mine out far enough to where they touch the stops just before the felt hits................................................UUUHHHHHHHHHHH, no luck, with my backspacing and spacers, My stops only touch in the back and that is just barely with them screwed out almost to the point of falling out.   :smack: 

I've got the same issue. I'll go by the bolt super store tommorrow after work and hopefully be able to post what size and thread count works

Yota4life [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 06:16:44 PM »
I only have mine set up so the back ones stop it. The fronts are probley too short. All you really need is one on each side...Something i found out is the stock birfs are only supposed to be adjusted to 30degrees max...weaak! runner are your stops bent? that could be why they dont reach. Mine were all bent up before i beefed up my front axle.