Author Topic: sluggish motor  (Read 1094 times)

wolffman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
sluggish motor
« on: May 24, 2006, 01:31:40 PM »
I just dropped a 22r in my 86 toy, Its pretty sluggish what can i do to get more power besides a different crank or cam?

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Male Posts: 336
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: sluggish motor
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 07:48:55 PM »
well how bout a good tune up??

BlenDeR

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 06:30:38 AM »
 :imwithstupid:

Quote from: BlenDeR
My tune-up went something like this:

1. One entire can of Valvoline Synthetic carb/throttle body cleaner, sprayed down the carb (running of course).
2. One can of Seafoam into the intake manifold through vaccum line (running).
3. New Distributor Cap
4. New Distributor Rotor
5. New Spark Plug Wires
6. New Spark Plugs (I prefer NGK)
7. New Fuel Filter
8. A Bottle of Redline Fuel System Cleaner mixed with a full tank of Cheveron Supreme
9. Adjust the timing. Mine is advanced about 2-3 degrees above stock (set @ 5 BTDC).
10. Engine Flush and Oil Change.

Don't add any fuel until driving to a 1/4 or below, or you'll just waste your Fuel System treatment. I noticed a considerable difference in the way the truck performed after doing this tune-up. She ran smoother, pulled better under acceleration, idled smoother, and was easier to start. I recommend these fuel system cleaners. Redline, Duralube, Slick50, Valvoline, Berryman's B-12 Chemtool, and Greased Lightning. I also did a chemical flush and back-flush on the cooling system. I didn't add it on the tune-up list because that's a long interval maintenance item. One thing I didn't do at that time was adjust the valve lash. I did do that later on, and the engine smoothed out even more (I clearanced the lash a "thingy hair" tighter than factory spec too).

Note: I can testify to the effectiveness of my method of intake/fuel system cleaning. It does work. About 2 weeks later, I replaced my head gasket. In the process of doing such I inspected the intake ports. They were extremely clean by any standards. Although, there is no hope for the carbon that gets caked on the pistons. However with regular useage of fuel system cleaners on a fresh engine, carbon build-up on pistons should be kept at a minimum.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 06:42:23 AM »
I just dropped a 22r in my 86 toy, Its pretty sluggish what can i do to get more power besides a different crank or cam?
well  i would start with new plugs and wires,  might as well check the compression   while you have them out,  then  i would check the timing chain  to make sure the cam is still correctly timed  as well as the distributor timing,  if all that checks to be ok, i would look at fuel delivery,  i had a celica  a few weeks back stop  me at walmart and ask if i would mind looking at their carb , turns out the secondary side of the carb had been disconnected :yikes:   fixed that  and the car  became alive again
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

81yota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 03:37:52 PM »
second that full change of cap, rotor, wires, plugs..possibly a new air filter. Grab some carb cleaner and let the carb soke in that for a few. good luck.
81yota
Locked F/R
39 TSL'S
5.29's
Dual Cases