Author Topic: Anyone live in or around Elko, NV?  (Read 2231 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Anyone live in or around Elko, NV?
« on: Apr 27, 2006, 08:18:50 PM »
Anyone live in the middle of nowhere?  I mean, Elko NV??  I'm doing some testing for a FF position there, (already made the trip once) and was hoping for an insiders perspective.  I love the environment(grew up in  OK and TX, very similar, just higher elevation)  and I think it'd be a great place to live, and a good way to get out of CA.  I'd love to meet anyone who lives between Sacramento and Elko as well. 

I'm going to be heading out there the night of may 8th, have testing on the 9th and 10th :crossed:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Anyone live in or around Elko, NV?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2006, 08:27:03 PM »
i satyed the night in Elks NV  one time :drool:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2006, 08:36:33 PM »
I lived in wendover nv for about 2 years. About 100 miles east of elko. But the towns are pretty similar. Elko, as most of rural nv exists on the mining and seems to be slowly dieing (sp). BUt I did like living in NV for the lack of income tax, and the schools (if you have any children) are pretty decent.
You have a Jeep?  That's cute.... So does Barbi.

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2006, 08:44:48 PM »
theres another reason :eyebrow:  :woohoo: :bumpinbutts:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2006, 09:10:52 PM »
I lived in wendover nv for about 2 years. About 100 miles east of elko. But the towns are pretty similar. Elko, as most of rural nv exists on the mining and seems to be slowly dieing (sp). BUt I did like living in NV for the lack of income tax, and the schools (if you have any children) are pretty decent.

Actually, the economy there is growing :yupyup:  they're bringin on 3 new positions in the dept, something they haven't done in a long time.  :thumbs:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2006, 09:14:13 PM »
Then I say go for it and........... :bling: CASH IN!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2006, 11:47:11 PM »
theres another reason :eyebrow:  :woohoo: :bumpinbutts:

Oh yea, glen's not talkin bout minin for gold :eyebrow:  .  Well, maybe gold diggers :rofl2:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2006, 05:27:37 AM »
Yes, that is legal in elko county. But you have to go to a town named wells to find any.

11 Bravo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 08:14:10 AM »
Yes, that is legal in elko county. But you have to go to a town named wells to find any.

Actually, if you are referring to brothels, there are 5 or 6 right in Elko, 1 in Carlin (about 20 miles west) 1 in Battle Mountain (about 60ish miles west) and a half a dozen or so in Winnemucca. I don't remember any in Wells, although I didn't really go around looking for them. My work took me all over the state and I remember several around though.

I lived in Elko for 7 years working for the Caterpillar dealership there. I have been in Wyoming for about 8 years now, but I still know several people there and have been back a few times for quick visits. I left town when the gold boom dried up in the late 90's.

I liked it in Elko. It is a pretty decent town. They have a lot of stuff going on there. Every summer they had a cowboy poetry festival, a rodeo series that ran all summer, they had the professional bullfighters competion ( rodeo clowns), there was a tough truck competition and mud race 2 or 3 times a year and lots of other stuff. There is a pretty nice shooting range just west of town and a pretty active gun club if you like to shoot. Believe it or not, there is (or was) a ski hill with a lift just north of town. Tons of public land and pretty good deer hunting. Lots of mountain biking and motorcross. The Ruby mountains are just south and some real nice areas. Lamoile canyon is only about 20 miles south and there is some real nice places to camp and hike there. The fishing isn't real great, not a whole lot of water around those parts. Next time you are there be sure to eat at a Basque restaurant. The food is great and they are kind of cool the way they serve you.

I had a very good friend who was a FF there. I haven't talked to him since I left so I don't know if he is still around there or not. Is the firestation still right by the airport?

If there is anything specific you want to know ask and I will try to answer.
I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 12:26:26 PM »
:thumbs: cool :yupyup:  I appreciate it! 

I liked the area, and Spring Creek looks pretty nice.  I like the idea of living in an area that I can actually afford to buy a house and property, not have to live in an apartment my entire life :headshake: 

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 11:59:58 PM »
Well, I just got back from Elko about an hour ago.  Passed the physical, and think I did OK on the interview :crossed:  we'll see :thumbs:

Checked out some homes, prices are awesome, and spring creek is a real nice area to live.  (not many properties less than an acre, and most are more :thumbs: )

11Bravo, the ski lift is still there, lamoille canyon is awesome, and yes, the fire station is still right next to the airport :yupyup:  I'm hoping to hear back from them soon.

-Ronald Reagan