Author Topic: harmonic balancer help please  (Read 4182 times)

festus

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 9
  • Member since Mar '06
  • if you aint the lead dog the view never changes
    • View Profile
harmonic balancer help please
« on: Mar 12, 2006, 02:50:48 PM »
i need to find the outside dimension of the crankshaft where the balancer mounts. can somebody help

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: harmonic balancer help please
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2006, 07:07:19 PM »
i could measure it in the morning but why do you need it ??

what year?/  most early 22r's had a solid front pulley,  not a "harmonic balancer"
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

festus [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2006, 09:10:03 PM »
its a 92 v6 3.0  made in japan . The reason i need it is driving down the freeway Friday about 75- 80 mph the bolt holding the balancer on somehow backed out (why this isn't a   LH threads beyond me) causing the balancer to wobble off and shearing the key and making alot bad metal to metal noise. It took me about 3/4 to a  1 mile pull over.  I'm hoping the shavings are from the balancer and key and not my crank. if you can help you'll be the first. in fact your the first response out of 4different sights.thanks alot

festus [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2006, 09:17:40 PM »
I read somewhere its called a liquid or fluid balancer

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2006, 05:43:31 AM »
well i think your right on the v6,  i dont have one of those to go measure,  but i can alert a few guys here that can help

Never Fear Wonder :turtle: Is Here :bowdown:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

toymech

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -155
  • Male Posts: 158
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2006, 06:38:36 AM »
 This is an interesting one. I havent heard of a pulley being shot off like that. Usually the pulley is very difficult to pull off even after the bolt has been removed,usually takes a puller or a prybar. Well my suggestion is let a good machine shop take a look at it. Depending on how bad that keyway is mangled will determine if it can be repaired,like I said before its not too common. If the damage is minimal you can just polish it down with fine emery cloth and try to put a new keyway in to hold the pulley. The pulley shouldnt be too hard to find in the bone yard. If ya get a keyway to fit in there pretty snug and tighten the bolt pretty good I cant see why it shouldnt work for ya. As for the metal shavings it could be metal just from the work keyway and most likely the pulley that came off. The pulley is softer than the key and the crank. Hope this helps and best of luck. This could be a nice excuse to get that 3. slow outta there but hopefully not. Mike :turtle:
87 Runner-rebuilt 22re,3 inch downey ifs lift,allpro rear bumper,Detroit locked rear with 4.88s,detroit true trac front diff,Marlin crawler clutch,R151F trans,Marlin Crawler 4.7 reduction gearset,33 inch Goodyear MTRs

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2006, 07:32:08 AM »
I can get you the measurement...but not until tomorrow at the soonest.  I work at a dealership...and I'm off today- but the next time a 3.0 comes in, I'll be glad to mic the nose of the crank for ya...

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

festus [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:00:20 AM »
OK guys heres my uneducated guess of what went down. four months ago I preformed 2nd annual head gasket replacement with all new belts but no new pulleys.  After finally getting it home and  drowning my sorrows  for a day.  it looks like the air pump must of froze because its hard as heck to spin free ( last week i did some river crossing)  anyhow, I'm guessing that the pump froze hard enough to cause the key to shear and the key began to bore out the balancer . The crank going faster than the balancer backed out the bolt  to Finnish it off . that bolt  was torqued on at  big o about a week after top end was done. I found that bolt about a mile and a half up the freeway with only a nick on it, and Fresno Toyota had a key in stock but no time to torque it for me. hopefully all i need is the balancer an air pump and some more beer. told you it was unedgimacated. Any better ideas?

PS I still would like get that measurement from the front of the crank if someone can mic it if they have access.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006, 07:17:19 PM by festus »

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:13:37 PM »
This is like the one thing that I can't help you with :smack:  I swear, I hate this motors, but I've gotten to the point where I know them pretty well.  That is still rpetty crazy that the harmonic balancer came off.  Your theory is probably right though.  If you don't have an answer to the measurement you need by this weekend, PM me, and I'll go pull the balancer off my old engine crankshaft and measure out anything you need ::thumbs:  I just won't have access to it until saturday
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

festus [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2006, 04:55:33 PM »
Any input is way better than me guessing especially with the fever i've been running latley.

festus [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2006, 10:53:44 AM »
Does anybody know if there is more than just the key that shares the timing belt gear for the balancer on the end of the crank? In other words, my balancer has a key way all the way across is there a separate key for it along with the one it shares with the  timing gear?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2006, 12:04:55 PM »
i know the 22's  have like a key for the oil pump, one for timoing gear  and one for  pully,  all 3 are half moon type

havent a clue about the 3.0

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2006, 12:35:01 AM »
festus,

dude, I'm sorry, but I can't get the pulleys off :smack:  at least not with the tools I have.  I even used a 6 foot fence pole as a breaker bar, and I couldn't get the stupid bolt off :down: so I can't get the measurement you wanted

Guess I shouldn't have left the motor uncovered in an open barn :smack: good thing I didn't really need it for anything
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2006, 12:44:07 AM by BLACKDOG »
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

festus [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2006, 04:05:19 PM »
I appreciate it. I  can't figure it out . If the water crossing I did a couple weeks ago was enough to freeze my air pump it sure as heck shuld've froze my balancer mean geez you cant free yours. I must be missing something. anyway thanks for your time