Author Topic: Front end questions  (Read 1276 times)

TyzToyz

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Toyotaholic
    • View Profile
Front end questions
« on: Mar 15, 2006, 03:37:55 AM »
Hey there  :wave: ,
First I'll start with what I have and then I'Ve got a few questions.
My name is Tye and I drive a 1985 4Runner.  I've installed 63" Chevy springs in the rear and am in the process of installing a hy-steer kit and 4" Pro-Comp rears up front. 
- While removing the factory front springs, I had to cut the 2 front spring hanger bolts.  Do I have to find or buy new front bolts, or can I weld a washer on the one side and use a regular grade 8 bolts?  What did everyone else do here?
- I plan on installing a u-bolt flip kit and was wondering if the flip plates that Marlin sells interfere at all with the tie rods or anything else for that matter?
- Using the rear springs up front, what size shim will I need to install on the passenger side spring perch in order to have it sit level?  Where can I get this shim, does Marlin sell this shim?
- I will be running 14" travel shocks and custom shock hoops in the front.  Do most of you out there use the factory axle mounting point, or do you weld new mounting points somewhere else on the axle?  Is there a particular angle that the front shocks need to be at?
Sorry for all the questions, I have been doing lots of reading and have come across conflicting information along the way.  Just trying to get some straight answers.
Please let me know if more info is needed.
Thanks for any help,

Tye
1985 4Runner Automatic (Project) So far: 88 rear axle with disc brakes, spooled 5.29's, 63" Chevy's, custom shock hoop and / \ 14" travel shocks.  Future: 4" Pro Comp rears up front, boomerang shackles, hy-steer, custom shock hoops with 14" travel shocks, 5.29's and an Aussie up front.

1986 4x4 Pick-Up

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Front end questions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2006, 11:39:27 AM »
1----find a flat washer that fits the hole and the bolt,  and a larger washer to fit between the head and that washer    shouldnt need to weld it,

2--- ubolt flip kit shouldnt bother the tierod

3----shim,  i would install the spring and make sure it actually leans befor i welded a shim in,     but you could find a old thin leaf and cut it down

4----not sure,  mine are in the stock location,  should be vertical, 

5---- :welcome:  to the board
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

TyzToyz [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Toyotaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2006, 01:34:35 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and answers  :beerchug: ,
This project seems to be lasting forever and I just want to do things right the first time (if that's even possible).  I do a ton of reading on lots of different boards and hear so many conflicting opinions on stuff, it makes my head spin sometimes.
Thanks again,

Tye
1985 4Runner Automatic (Project) So far: 88 rear axle with disc brakes, spooled 5.29's, 63" Chevy's, custom shock hoop and / \ 14" travel shocks.  Future: 4" Pro Comp rears up front, boomerang shackles, hy-steer, custom shock hoops with 14" travel shocks, 5.29's and an Aussie up front.

1986 4x4 Pick-Up

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2006, 05:56:22 AM »
I had to cut mine too...I found the closest size washer to fill the whole and filed the outer edges to get them to fit snug.  (they were a little big).  Then I put a larger washer on either side of the hole to hold the spacer washers (i think it took 3 to span the thickness of the hanger).  It was a pain, but it works just fine.   :yesnod:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 360
  • Male Posts: 485
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2006, 07:46:26 AM »
3----shim, i would install the spring and make sure it actually leans befor i welded a shim in, but you could find a old thin leaf and cut it down

The difference between the two perch heights are 3/8". Alls I did was weld in a shim I made out of 3/8" flat bar. 5"x2.5" is all you need with a hole drilled/cut in the middle. The middle section of an old overload would be closer than a thin leaf.
"Don't let common sense stop you..."

Build up thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11425.0

KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!! :bat: