Author Topic: tubo tranny woes  (Read 1774 times)

DN1911

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
tubo tranny woes
« on: Feb 04, 2006, 03:19:02 PM »
i have an 86' factory turbo truck. i recently purchased it and have been fixing things up as i go. the truck shifts fairly well in all gears but is stiff down shifting in first. i changed the fluid to Lucas gear oil and inspected shifter. found no bushing in it. i replaced the bushing and 90% of the stiffness went away, but it is still stiff compared to other gears. i also have been noticing the when shifting from 1st to 2nd i sometimes get a little grinding, but not always. any ideas on where i should start?

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: tubo tranny woes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2006, 08:55:12 PM »
my turbo tranny does the same thing. its party because i still have 75w-140 in there.....royal pregnant dog to shift in cold conditions. but im certain my synchro is going. i just use the old double clutch trick and she hifts plenty smooth. its cooler like that anyway, i feel like a trucker :gap:
Im an OG

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2006, 11:04:57 PM »
That's funny skinny.  We have a little yota fork lift at work with a 2 speed tranny, and in order to shift smooth you hafta double clutch it. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

DN1911 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2006, 09:30:13 AM »
i used 85-140 gear oil also. it was working well, but this morning was really cold and the truck is very hard to shift. i think i will be switching to a lighter oil soon.

i also noticed my hydro system is leaking, and was looking at Marlins replacement parts. does anyone know if the Turbo trucks used any different hydro parts, or are all 86's the same no matter what model?

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2006, 09:51:40 AM »
if your talking about the turbo tranny there, there own breed. only came in 86 and 87 trucks
Im an OG

DN1911 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2006, 12:09:30 PM »
the truck i have is a factory 86' 4x4 Turbo. i like it , but it has been harder to find parts for.

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2006, 08:38:10 PM »
thats partly the reason i switched mine to non turbo...just kept the good tranny
Im an OG

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2006, 09:54:26 PM »
The turbo trans 1st. gear is  lower than any other trans and could make it more difficult to downshift into, try going even slower before downshifting into 1st.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2006, 09:57:37 PM »
The turbo trans 1st. gear is  lower than any other trans and could make it more difficult to downshift into, try going even slower before downshifting into 1st.

this is very true. i find you dam near come to a complete stop...or double clutching usually helps to. i think the 5.15 1st gear would be tits up
Im an OG

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2006, 10:32:58 PM »
As for downshifting to 1st, you know it's not fully synchronized right?  My w55 in my 91 2wd does that little grind thing if I don't push in the clutch all the way between 1st and 2nd, but my clutch is suspect too, and soon to be replaced.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

DN1911 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2006, 05:23:01 PM »
it seems my issues are a little more severe than first described. now when cold, wich is forever, the tranny is near impossible to shift between 1/2 and i often can feel third grind a little also. now if i run the revs up a little higher and shift real quick it seems to be a little better. now once i drive for an hour or so it gets warm enough that normal function seems to resume.

is 70-90 really that much lighter than 85-140 to cause a lot of this when cold?  i now my master is leaking a little and i'm sure the slave probly is worn out also. guess i'm going to have to update everything until the only thing left is a rebuild. on a good note, i just sold an old quad of mine and will be buying all new clutch componets very soon. hopefully that and some lighter weight gear oil will get it smoothed out. i don't have the money for a rebuild right now.

i would love to have marlin's low gear kit for my R151, but i really want a lower 2nd to bridge the gap. make it more of a wide ratio.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2006, 05:32:19 PM by DN1911 »

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2006, 08:03:05 PM »
I would hafta fall back on the possibility of the clutch being bad then  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA