Author Topic: 85 truck frame up  (Read 2227 times)

captoyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 12
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
85 truck frame up
« on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:26:22 PM »
I know that this post sucks without pictures but I do not know how to post pictures yet.

Once someone is kind enough to show me how to post pictures of the frame-up I will.

Right now most of the project consists of cleaning parts, frame, and body.

Any suggestions on how to clean heavily greased parts like the transmission and front dif would be greatly appreciated.

I stripped the truck down to pure frame, next week I am getting it sand blasted (sand blaster is broken). After the frame is sand blasted along with the 2 difs if they are degreased  in time I am going to prime and paint them so they look nice and pretty. Wal mart has $.97 spray cans so I could not resist.

I have already priced some rims and Tires from discount tires in 33x10.50x15 and 15x8 rims for just under 900 bucks. I need suggestions from you experts on what gears would be best to run on a vehicle that will be a daily driver.

The Engne will be a 3rz, once I get all the info I need it will be ordered and be put on the nicely painted frame. the wiring will be dealt with eventualy.

Interior calls for 2 baja suspension seats and an interior roll cage kit with the five point harness.

All this is a very generic outline of the build up but it is still pretty much the basics.

Obviously, as I learn more which I have been in the last 2 months since I found this site, my build up plans will be modified to a more comprehensively   designed truck.

All info and suggestions are absolutely and 100% welcome from all you TOYOTA experts.   Thank you del

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: 85 truck frame up
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2006, 07:50:14 PM »
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yotatilla

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -160
  • Male Posts: 182
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Pretend Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2006, 10:52:37 PM »
As for cleaning parts for cheap, use brake fluid. That stuff will eat anything, including skin, so be careful. I got it in the eye once when I was bleeding my system, and let me tell you, were a friggin hazard suit. If you want something a little less catious, try gunk engine cleaner. Spray the foam on, hose it off in about 10 minutes. Works pretty well.

Sam
2 1986 4Runners+
1 solid Axle+
2 transfercases+
4 35x14.5 Thornbirds+
2 Aussie Lockers+
1 Marlin SAS kit=
UBER 4RUNNER

captoyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2006, 09:15:25 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I am already using degreaser, brake cleaner, gunk remover , wire brush, steel wool clothes,high pressure washer. I just went and bought a tub to soak parts in with gasoline, hey its worth a try.

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2006, 09:25:43 PM »
hey dude for your safty DONT use gasoline in a parts cleaner,bucket... rags are alright but dont put that stuff in a tub.... gas is pretty damn flamible... it does not take much to ignite it... just my  :twocents:  :wave:  :beer: use laquer thinner... alot harder to ignite compared to gasoline and cleans pretty good
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

captoyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2006, 10:36:50 AM »
Hey bud thanks for the tip. your right maybe i shuold not use gasoline.

fourwd1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '02
  • Out On Bail
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2006, 10:42:10 AM »
Mineral spirits is a good, cheap solvent. About $2/gal at Lowes, etc.
'80's Toyota 4WD P/U, Buick 231 V6, Holley 4 bbl, Weiand intake, Downey headers, custom TH-350 L/U w/700R4 low gearing, dual tanks, dual batterys, other crap ...

- - - as seen in FOUR WHEELER magazine July 2006 - -
84 4Runner ARBed 5.29's F&R, 4.7 t-case, x-over, Chevy's, 2" drv train lift, 36" TSLs, 30 spline Longs, BudBuilt skid

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2006, 01:24:48 PM »
Are you planning on this truck being a trail rig or serve street duty as well? It might be different where you live but I'm pretty sure 5 point harnesses aren't DOT legal. If it is gonna be a trail rig, youll want more than 33" tires.

Sounds like a lot of fun, I wish I could build a truck from the frame up.. I just dont have the resources though. Good luck :)
'82 on 35's, not much else.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2006, 01:27:44 PM »
laquer thinner is where its at.. that will clean things up realll good
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

captoyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2006, 08:41:58 PM »
I had not thought of the DOT issue. To solve this problem I can always leave the original seatbelts for streat use and the harness for offroading. Although it will not likely see any extreme trails as far as rock crawling it will have to be a very capable truck.
33s were my first thoughts but the more I research the more I am leaning towards 35s. What gears would I have to use to get back to stock or better?What is the going rate on average for the gears and labor for the swap?  Del

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2006, 05:11:27 PM »
5.29's there around 180 i think... maybe 150 for labor?? im not sure.. then an install kit :beer:
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2006, 05:52:02 PM »
Yes go with 5.29's much better gearing.  I know that in washington modifying the seat belts in any way ileagal  I am doing a frame off restoration/build as well.
 I enjoy so much building this truck of mine.  Good luck on your build.

What kind of problems are you having with posting pics?
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2006, 05:58:31 PM by whiteman »

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2006, 06:17:01 PM »
5:29s with 33" tires sucks donkey balls big time so does the 97c. walmart paint on a freshly sandblasted chassis.  If you are gonna run a 3rz just run the stock 4:10 because it will have plenty of power to push those tires and you will also have a pretty good top speed

captoyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:16:30 PM »
The problem I am running into with posting pics is the fact that I am not that good with computers. The second problem I am having is that for the next 2 to 3 weeks I only have dial up and I think that is the main issue because I have never had problems uploading pictures onto forums on other sites until now.
Not to worry the truck is not going anywhere and the build is at a stand still because I have to come up with a parts list of what I want to buy and what I realy nead before I lay down some cash.As soon as the high speed stuff gets connected i sure will try to post pics.

So far I am having problems getting enough info to purchase the 3rz. I already found one with 29k miles out of an 03 for $1500 with harness and computer. I want to pick it up this weekend but I can not get an answer as to what all exactly I need. If I had that info I would purchase it tommorrow and pick it up this weekend and have it installed next week.I just dont want to spend the money and then find out i got the wrong parts.

How much lift would I need to be able to fit 35 tires. So far I have been thinking of using the skyjacker 5 inch leafs or procomp 4 inchers with marlin extended shackles and u bolt flip kit on ethier combo. Right now the main priority is the 3rz so any strong reliable suspension suggestions that are relatively cheap would be greatly appreciated. In the future i would not mind that $2000 marlin kit but for now the point is to fit the 35s and get the truck built up. The upgrades can always come later.     del

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:42:18 PM »
have you looked at any of of bigmikes 3rz swap writeups?  They tell you pretty much everything

seanc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -357
  • Male Posts: 347
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Wheeler For Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:51:21 PM »
i have 5-points in my truck, have not been pulled over yet in washington  :yikes: BTW 5-points suck for general 4-wheelin i never wear mine, except when i start to get really hairy and using my cage all the way down the hill is one possibilty... bling factor is there, but they hardly get used.
You win some, you lose some.

captoyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2006, 08:02:13 AM »
hey big blue, I have read all or almost all of the topics concerning the 3rz swap but still unclear on a few things. I would like to have a few questions cleared out before i purchase wwhat i need. As far as the harnesses I rather be safe than sorry, not to mention that I want to bring the wife along and in the near future, my little girl.

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2006, 02:48:08 PM »
FYI: You could run 35 MTRs for $182 a tire (plus shipping)  and black steelies for around 900. :twocents:  Add some DIY beadlocks and you are set. :thumbs:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/