Author Topic: It's sliiiiiiipppppppiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnggggggg!!!!!!!  (Read 3373 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
It's sliiiiiiipppppppiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnggggggg!!!!!!!
« on: Dec 20, 2005, 12:09:46 AM »
  You guessed it, my clutch is on it's last legs.  When I first bought my 91 2wd parts getter about 3 years ago, the clutch chattered a little and would slip if you switched between 1st and 2nd too fast and on the gas hard, or if you tried to do a burn out(not that I would do that  :dunno:  ).  Somehow I've been able to stretch it out for 3 years and avoid having to replace it, and it even stopped chattering shortly after buying it, but it's time has come.  The other day I was taking a hilly back road to check my mail and it seemed like it was just revving up when I gassed it in 4th going up a hill, so I tried a couple more times and it really seemed like it was slipping.  I kinda forgot about it for a few days, then was getting on the freeway and had to wait behind a big rig till a car passed so I left it in 4th, pulled out behind the other car and gunned it and it went nowhere but revved up like it was gettin it on!  Slippy slippy! 
  I've had really good luck with the sachs clutch in my old 2wd and the 4by(same clutch in both), so for $100 for a complete kit I think I'm probably gonna go that route.  Anybody used these before?  I have a brand new zoom clutch, but I'm either gonna use it when I switch engines in the 4by or when I put the 81 2wd back on the road.  Another option is to try picking up a reman toyota clutch from my brother, but I hafta ask him what the damage will be tomorrow.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
reman stock clutch, you probably dotn wanna know the price ;)

i know duffil on here is selling one, so you might wanna talk to him

i jsut put the marlin crawler 1600 conventional in mine, i love it, it feels better than my old centerforce dual friction clutch that i recently removed due to PM, i had to replace the tranny, so while i had the tranny out, looked @ the clutch disk, and it looked low, so i just replaced it
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Mine is hurtin too.  Last time I wheeled it there was lots of smelly slippage and it has been going downhill fast ever since.  Sometimes I get her up to 3500-4000 RPM at a red light before I actually move.  Just chatters away.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Wow you made it last 3 years, that's amazing.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I think she just didn't drive as smoothly as I did, that's the only way I can see that I was able to stop the chatter and make it last so long. 

On my first toy the clutch pedal would get stiff and it wouldn't go into gear.  Sometimes it just flat wouldn't shift and I had to park it for a while, come back later and it would work.  I drove it like that for nearly a year till I decided to switch to a celica 5 speed, and when I pulled the 4 speed I saw the problem.  The springs in the disc were chunking apart and when they did they would get caught between the disc and flywheel. 

And Jim, Duffil's clutch is what reminded me of reman, but his is for a v6.  Plus I get a good deal so hopefully it will cost the same or less than what you paid for your marlin clutch.  Money is tight though, so if it costs twice as much as the sachs clutch then you know what's gonna happen.  I have been keeping all toyota parts on this truck though, and it would be nice to stick with that.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
i just put a centerforce dual friction (i got a reallll good deal on it)  in my 99 taco cuz my clutch went, and i really like the way it feels, which is alot like a racing clutch (which is what i like)

i definitely cant get it to slip and its not even broken in yet
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
you all know what i :think:

honestly  i burned down 2 toy reman clutches  then got the Marlin :driving:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Interesting glen.  I was gonna ask him if there were any options, such as a HD reman, or if it's just the one.  I called the place I got my last one and they no longer carry sachs, so that option is out.
RIP KYOTA

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Interesting glen. I was gonna ask him if there were any options, such as a HD reman, or if it's just the one. I called the place I got my last one and they no longer carry sachs, so that option is out.
i promise ya Nate,  you'll be impressed with one of Marlins,  you know how long ive had mine  and dragging logs and muddin  ,  drove 30000 miles on it and it doesnt show but very little wear
im sure it would last me 100,000 easy
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Well, gotta remember this is the parts runner, biggest mod I might do is an open exhaust system.  I found out what the clutch will cost today and it's not too much.  By now I probably have close to 100,000 on the sachs clutch in the 4by with no problems other than the to bearing is starting to make a little noise.  Still not sure what route I'm gonna go, I'd really like to know who makes marlin's clutches.  I'll hafta talk to my friend and see if he'd let me use his shop so I don't hafta lay in the gravel, or see if another friend would lemme use his lift, that'd be sweet!
RIP KYOTA

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
yea  a lift is good  on those 2wd's  :yikes:   i might have to put a lift kit on my creeper  :rofl2:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
hey nate, only the disc and release brg are for the 5vz.  the cover and pilot fit an R series.  lemme know; I've still got em. 

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I appreciate your offer, but for what I can get everything for I would just assume buy it from my source.  I think you'd have an easier time selling yours as a complete kit anyway.  Something I found interesting when pricing mine too, unless the vehicle is so new that toyota doesn't have used discs to rebuild then all clutches you buy from them are rebuilds.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I appreciate your offer, but for what I can get everything for I would just assume buy it from my source.  I think you'd have an easier time selling yours as a complete kit anyway.  Something I found interesting when pricing mine too, unless the vehicle is so new that toyota doesn't have used discs to rebuild then all clutches you buy from them are rebuilds.
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
I would, but I don't have a complete anything.  half is for a 5vz, half for an Rseries.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
hey nate, i got the boxes from my marlins clutch in the garage... let me go dig em up.....

« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2005, 08:51:08 PM by jimbo74 »

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Thanks man, from the looks of it I'm gonna take a safe guess and say he sourced them from japan.  Hafta figure that since toyotas are used like mac trucks in other countries that they would have some pretty heavy duty clutches available.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Hey jimbo, did you get the 1200lb or 1600lb?  How do you like it so far?  I figure yours should be taking a pounding with your gears and tire setup.
RIP KYOTA

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i sent ya a pm but ill psot here too... i :love: it.... i got the 1600 conventional..... for the price, it comes pretty packed with goodies, throwout bearing, alignment tool, and pilot bearing

according to the box, the parts are made in korea..... that might deter some people, but i can tell you from firsthand experience the clutch is bad@$$,

it replaced my centerforce dual friction that was low on disk thickness so it got replaced

having beaten on both, the marlins feels a lot better, still allows me to spin the wheels, but maintain control.... its engagement is way smoother than the centerforce was...

and yes, i beat on my truck...... 31s with 3.07s and a heavy right foot.... in essence, since my truck is a 4x2, im getting more hp to the wheels then a 4x4 with a 22r
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2005, 02:58:30 PM by jimbo74 »

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
:rofl2:  it's still working!  Granted I haven't driven the truck a whole bunch, but it's not slipping any worse, and since I've adjusted the way I drive it doesn't really slip at all.  Wierd!
RIP KYOTA