Author Topic: for all of those who have done an efi swap  (Read 2258 times)

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
for all of those who have done an efi swap
« on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:30:41 AM »
Does anybody know if the carb throttle cable will be long enough to reach the throttle body? It doesn't look long enough.

And for fuel pumps, Summit sells an external msd high pressure pump that runs at 85 psi for 90 bucks part # msd 2225 the pump has a for point vibration dampend mount.
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: for all of those who have done an efi swap
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2006, 08:17:13 AM »
:think:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2006, 08:51:28 AM »
No, the carb throttle cable is much to short. And there are even different lengths for EFI cables, maybe about + or - 4" or so that I have seen, but they should all work regardless.

As for external fuel pumps, I've never liked them, but try to keep it lower then the tank if possible, and make sure you upgrade the hoses and clamps to higher pressure ones. If you are just running a NA 22R-E, then I have heard of people retaining the steel carburated fuel lines, which I believe are 1/4" whereas EFI steel fuel lines are 5/16". When I swapped in the 3RZ, knowing that the 3RZ has the ability to move more fuel then the 22R-E, I immediately ripped out 100% of the carburated lines and put in 5/16" lines on the high side.

Besides that, how is everything else going? What year EFI parts are you using? Gonna be sweet! :gap:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2006, 09:14:08 AM »
Sweet these are the same questions I was gonna ask.   Mike what should I do about hooking up my factory carb lines to the efi fuel filter mounted on the block?  by this I mean the ones going from the frame up not motor down

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:52:56 PM »
On my EFI swap, I use factory EFI fuel filter fittings from the boneyard.

I just cut the rubber line that connects to the fuel filter as close to the frame side hard line end as possible, and then slipped the rubber line over my carbbed steel line on my truck and secured it with 2 hose clamps.  It's not the most elegant solution, but it sure works well.

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

awhotrods

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 154
  • Male Posts: 1,203
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2006, 10:10:50 PM »
Mike, thats the fuel pump I used, and it works great!

Quote from: MidgetMike link=topic=20094.s msg213809#msg213809 date=1138203041
Does anybody know if the carb throttle cable will be long enough to reach the throttle body? It doesn't look long enough.

And for fuel pumps, Summit sells an external msd high pressure pump that runs at 85 psi for 90 bucks part # msd 2225 the pump has a for point vibration dampend mount.

MidgetMike [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2006, 07:22:19 AM »
i am using a 94 efi system on my 83 engine, I am a little worried about the check engine light being set by the speed sensor seeing as I want to retain the 83 sr5 insturment cluster. But I found a company that makes adapters to run both electronic and mechanical speedos together.

At the moment I am going to use  all the efi lines from the intake back to the fuel pump and upgrade the line from the pump to the tank, since I have a long bed and the doner was a short bed I think the fuel lines will all end just in front of the gas tank. Either way I will post my sollution which might do the same thing as reklund5.

As for the in line pumps I hope to use a volvo in line pump once this one goes bad or if it does. Volvos use many of the same parts as toyotas up to about 1995 and thier fuel pumps rutinely last up to 200,000 miles. Trannies, water pumps as well as many other aisin parts and parts are readily availible at yards and I will definitly use a junkyard volvo pump as a back up. this weekend the i am doing the swap and hope to catalog  the process to answer some of my own Questions that I had a lot of trouble answering that I am sure other people are having. As of right now the harness is striped and ready to splice into the 83 harness. I hope to make the efi as stand alone as posible using the enging compartment fuse block and but connectors.

MidgetMike [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2006, 10:24:23 PM »
Here is an up date on how the efi swap is going, first I decided to use the 83 motor instead of the 94 motor since it was EFI compatable and that saved a lot of unnecessary work the 83 motor should be better anyways with longer piston skirts and a few other differences from the later R series motors and also affords me the ability to use a factory dual row timing chain. I needed to use the coolant hard line that bolts to the timing cover on the passenger side from the 94 motor for the small outlet to the EFI manifold. I also used the vacuum line for the brake booster from the 94 since it freed up some brackets in the engine compartment that I used to hold the EFI harness which made the engine compartment more organized. The factory fuel filter mounts to the block the same way as on the 94 minus 1 bolt so far my biggest dilemma is still how to get my inline pump from a 3/8" to 1/4" inlet.