Author Topic: What year all LC vented Rotors and FJ80 MAster cylinder?  (Read 3716 times)

toymachine

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -37
  • Member since May '02
  • Marlin's the best....its that simple
    • View Profile
What year all LC vented Rotors and FJ80 MAster cylinder?
« on: Oct 19, 2005, 08:14:31 AM »
Going to upgrade the brakes on my 83' to the IFS calipers, vented rotors, and FJ80 master cylinder. I have some rotors but not sure if they are the right year.

What year should the rotors be?

What years should the FJ80 non ABS Master Cylinder be?

Thanks guys.
Lowriders are for guys who can't get it up!!!

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
think I used 75 rotors on my 83, keeped the stock master.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

toymachine [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Anyone else?   I remeber talking to someone once who said 85' or so.

Marlin's site says with the IFS calipers and larger rotors you should use the larger FJ80 non ABS master cylinder.  What year is that one?

Just need a confirmation from someone.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
oh and I used calps. from a 90 V-6 mini. don't know a thing about the FJ80 master.  :dunno:

and you may have to grind a little on your dust shealds.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Jake,  i used a celica MC  it was 1 inch bore and from what i could tell was identical tp the fj80non abs,  just had a smaller resvior
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
it drastically improved my braking  :driving:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Im running 78 cruiser rotors, 94 4 cyl calipers (exactly like the V6 ones) and 94 1" master from the same mini.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Jake,  i used a celica MC  it was 1 inch bore and from what i could tell was identical tp the fj80non abs,  just had a smaller resvior

what year celica glen?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Bloomcounty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
man as far as the rotors go ! I'd just get them from marlin ! That way you know they're the ones you need . plus from what I found out he was cheaper than all the parts houses around here anyway !  :twocents:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
True, but if I can find out exactly what year I need I can get a swingin deal for actual toyota rotors.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
Copied directly from the FAQ on Pirate.

Brake Rotor Swap – Vented Front

Some folks like to swap out their solid rotors for vented rotors. This is a simple and somewhat inexpensive modification. I did this swap because my brakes were getting very hot and making some very annoying noises. If you can change your brakes you should not have any problem with this swap.

All you need are rotors from an '81 and up Toyota LC FJ40 and calipers from an IFS Toyota (86+ P-up or 4Runner).

The Landcruiser rotors are wider because they are vented but otherwise fit right on with no other modification besides the caliper.
The caliper comes in two flavors... one has two larger pistons and two smaller, and another has four pistons that are the same size. The ones with four large pistons would technically give you more braking force. I used the same pads because mine were still fairly new... so you don't need new pads unless yours are low.

Lots of good info there.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173918

Hope that's what you wanted.

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

toymachine [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Thanks, i forgot about htis thread.  I ended up getting Marlin's Rotors, and i got an FJ80 larger Master Cylinder.  I have 1,  92 V6 Caliper and 2 87' 4cyl calipers.  I am trying to get another V6 caliper cheap, but dont know if I will in time.  I really want to put ion the new master cylinder but dont want to run a larger MC with 4cyl calipers (maybe I'd blow them up).     

I am also trying to figure out backspacing.  I would like to set it up so that my front width would be like a wider toyota rear.  Right now I have 4" backspacing on my rims...I'm tempted to go with the IFS hub setup, and mount the calipers on the other side of the mounting holes.  This would give me the extra width....instead of new rims or wheel spacers.