Author Topic: New here have a few ?s  (Read 998 times)

captoyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 12
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
New here have a few ?s
« on: Jan 27, 2006, 09:53:18 PM »
I have been reading almost every post on this forum for the last 2 months just trying to absorb the crazy amount of Toyota info on this forum. One thing that I have to mention is that this forum is top notch when it comes to teaching someone like myself about toyotas (fairly new to this brand of trucks).

Well, i am currently working on an 85 4x4 Toyota pickup that I have torn down to the bare frame (I would post pics if I knew how).
My 1st order of business is a 3RZ swap. After reading the (BIGMIKE BIG PROJECT) thread as well as a few others, I am sold on that particular engine. Although I have read up on this particular swap, I am still a little scared of the daunting task of wiring it but hey no guts no glory right?

(BIGMIKE) I think that is the name, Can you tell me what is all required to purchase for this swap? What criteria do you or anyone else use to pick a particular engine? I have found a few 3rzs on the carparts link you provided but I want to be sure I am buying the right engine for the right amount of price. I am thinking of looking for an 03 or 04 like the ones that some other people have already swapped into their older trucks.

As far as the rest of the truck, I want to build an all purpose built truck. Basicly I want to have a go almost anywhere truck that is great on gas and will run forever, hence TOYOTA!

The build will consist of no more than 35 inch tires so I need recommendations for amount of lift needed to fit that size tire. I already am thinking of installing the Marlin lift kit that runs about 1000 bucks or so but I think that might be to extreme for what I am trying to build. Keep in mind that go anywhere in my mind is only up to moderate rated trails and highway use. Once my newborn is alot older then maybe I can go alittle more extreme so I can still bring her with me.

The most important thing about this rig is that it has to be reliable enough to be a daily driver. I just bought a brand new truck but it it is killing me on gas. Also I am a bit of an explorer and do not mind going off the highway on my way home to explore some of the nicer trails that we have here in southern New Mexico. Obviously the only way to do that is to have a trail worthy truck that is considerlably cheaper, and a little more stout, and can go where I want it and still take me to work the next day.

Sorry for the long post but considering that it is my first, I just had alot to ask. 
Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for any info in advance,         Del

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: New here have a few ?s
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2006, 06:50:51 PM »
you need to read thru the emince posts of Bigmike

he is the 3RZ guru

as for 35's  you will be wanting about 5 inches of lift, i would go with Marlins 4 inch springs and a 2 inch body lift   
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2006, 06:51:35 PM »
oh yea welcome to the forum :welcome:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:56:53 PM »
Talked to Marlin this morning and he says he has a full setup from a 99 taco. Give em a call and he'll hook you up.