Author Topic: Removable doors  (Read 2240 times)

quick64stang

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Nov '05
  • 86 4x4 conversion
    • View Profile
Removable doors
« on: Jun 26, 2006, 11:20:19 PM »
I heard from a few people that you can cut off the top part of the hinge that is attached to the door and weld the pin on the bottom part of the hinge and then you can just lift your doors on and off.....  Well i tried this and the door doesn't seem to fit in there if i try to slide them down on the pins because the door hits the fender.  If anyone has done this let me know how to do this or if there is another way to make the doors for easy liftoff besides unbolting them everytime i want to take them off let me know.

John

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Removable doors
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2006, 11:27:25 PM »
I haven't done the cutting of the top of the hinge, but I have cut the pin out of my hinges, and found a pin that fits in the hole.  Now it is a matter of pulling out a cotter pin, then pulling the pin to remove my doors, instead of unbolting them
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

quick64stang [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Nov '05
  • 86 4x4 conversion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2006, 11:32:31 PM »
thats what i thought but found it a little difficult with the pins that i had to get the head of the pin by the bolt of the hinge and then i heard this way so i cut them and now i cant get it to work.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2006, 11:43:54 PM »
thats what i thought but found it a little difficult with the pins that i had to get the head of the pin by the bolt of the hinge and then i heard this way so i cut them and now i cant get it to work.

try having the pin on the bottom hinge longer, and cut the top one a little shorter.  This way, you don't have to support thw whole weight of the door, and line up two holes at the same time, while dealing with the fender.  This way, you can set the bottom part of the door on the hinge, and line up the top, while moving the door in and out so it doesn't hit the fender as you drop it in
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2006, 02:52:36 PM »
I'm going to try this, this weekend.  But I'll be cutting the hinge in 1/2 on the cab.  As pictured.  (from Pirate FAQ toy thread)  Cut pin in 1/2 and weld on. 

I'm just curious as to how much play will be in the door when I open and close it.  Hopefully not too much.

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation