Author Topic: What lift kit is everyone running and whats best  (Read 3085 times)

max

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
What lift kit is everyone running and whats best
« on: Jan 13, 2004, 05:06:41 PM »
I have a 89 IFS 4runner.  I want a solid axle but It is exspensive so what is the best lift kit I can get for ride quality but mostly offroad ability like strenght and articulation?  Right now I have NWOR add leafs in rear and torsion bars in front cranked up so my ride is 1.5" over stock, but the ride is harsh it is more of a street lift.  Opinions PLEASE!

gferris5

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Oct '02
    • View Profile
You would be hard pressed to find an IFS lift kit that would be cheaper than doing  a SAS with some budget springs. I didn't SAS, I have an 85 with orbit eyes and Alcans, and it does great, very stable on road, way twisty off, but if you're budget minded, I'd say SAS it and use Toy rear springs up front, or Allpro's and you'll be out less money than a comparable IFS lift that wouldn't provide nearly the same off road prowess. Good luck.
85' 4Runner- SWAPPED--Dodge Caravan IFS-front and rear, 235R13's on each corner, hubcaps. Toyota Corona drivetrain swap. Locked, left and right side doors, with the windows up.

max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
What do I need to do to the steering then?  How much is a steering kit?

gferris5

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Oct '02
    • View Profile
Marlin's cross over is just your ticket, since you already have the right style of steering box...none of this stuff is cheap, but you'd have to mess with all this stuff anyway with any kind of serious IFS lift.
85' 4Runner- SWAPPED--Dodge Caravan IFS-front and rear, 235R13's on each corner, hubcaps. Toyota Corona drivetrain swap. Locked, left and right side doors, with the windows up.

yotacrawler85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Nov '03
  • east coast ROCKS!
    • View Profile
    my friend made his own crossover steering  arm by taking two(i foget which side they need to be) and doing some welding and grinding. He also made his own drag link. high steer is like 700 +/- a few bucks... He did it real cheap but with lots of work. as for SAS you can fabricate most of that stuff also like the front crossmember if your handy with a torch and a welder. I would personslly go ith the sas. youll be so much happier, and so will your runner. Another issue is finding a frt axle. you can ussually buy them for around $250+/-........
85 cab on a 87 sas frame with 6 inch lift, 15x10 wheels, 34-10.50 swampers, all pro high steer, shock hoops, dual diff guards, in cab roll cage, rancho 5000s, all poly bushings remote diff breathers front and rear recievers, welded rear(4:30's) 22re

max [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks for your opinion, I am going to put on a solid front axle, but first I am going to swap the 3.4L in.  Then I will have a trail machine!  If any one knows any site with walk throughs of SAS or 3.4L swap on 1st generation 4runner post it, thanks

89 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1198
  • Male Posts: 383
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
allprooffroad.com has sas instructions for the use off thier kit with pic's the spring hanger  kit is only $239 but its easy to fab your own if you can weld
89 ext cab sas with diamond +4 1/2" housing 30 spline longs and hub gears, hp elocker, six studs, arp studs in everything, taco rear with elocker. swaped out 22re for 3.4l supercharged, urd 2.0" pulley, urd fuel management, downey headers, flowmaster, cold air intake, marlin clutch that is straining to hold up