Author Topic: Fire under my hood  (Read 2953 times)

Rebeltilldeath3

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -48
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Suicide Messiah
    • View Profile
Fire under my hood
« on: May 12, 2005, 11:58:27 AM »
So I'm driving down the road this morning, sparks start to fly out from under my hood, I lose power, then the smoke comes pouring out.  My battery hold down got loose, got bounced on top of my positive post of the battery.  They melted together pretty good.  What was real nice was this happened 20 feet from my buddies house, so I drifted into his parkin' lot.  He comes home, tries jumping me (my battery still had juice, even though I had a dead short, it was alive).  Nothing happened.  I fiddle with the clamps for a little bit, sit there letting it charge up, nothing.  Come to find the ground from the battery to the fender melted and tore.  I put a connector to join them back together.  Amazingly my battery still had full voltage.  My engine spun over, but didn't fire up.  I check all my fuses, not a single one blown.  Check for spark and I got plenty.  So I'm not getting fuel.  I figred my relay blew out, took it out, put it back in, nothing.  Stuck a wire between the plugs where the fuel relay plugs in, it turned over and ran for about 3 seconds, then died.  Go back under the hood and find that the wiring harness for the fuel pump was completely fried, bear wires everywhere and a couple melted together.  So now I'm happily cutting off all the damned electrical tape the factory wrapped around the wires.  I probably have dead shorts everywhere.

My plan: Get rid of the section of wire burned to nothing, and run a hard hot lead to the fuel pump and throw a switch on my dash for the pump.

Few questions:  Why in the HELL would it fire up for about 3 seconds and cut off like I described?

Is there anyway to get to the harness back at the fuel pump without dropping the tank?  Haynes manual doesn't tell me anything.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 05:12:57 PM by WHITE_TRASH »

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Re: Fire under my hood
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 05:02:58 PM »
check the harness to the air flow meter.  there is a switch in the air flow meter that closes once air is flowing, allowing the fuel pump to run.  Otherwise, the pump only runs for a few seconds when you turn the key to on, then won't run anymore until air flow is seen.

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 05:05:41 PM »
Oh, and I would recommmend wiring a relay in that circuit you want to run for your pump.  Just make it a standard bosch relay that you can find anywhere instead of that lame circuit opening relay.

Also, you can remove all the bed bolts, unbolt the filler neck, and jack up the side of the bed until you have room to fix your wires/ remove pump.

Rebeltilldeath3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Suicide Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 09:21:57 PM »
Well, 8 hours later and I have it running. 

Get this, it burned the wires all the way back to the fuel pump.  It started to melt the plug going into the fuel pump, a few seconds more and I would have been dead.

I had to make an entirely new harness for the charging system, every ground was burned, everywhere.  Switches and relays are blown everywhere.  I can't get any of my lights to stay on, they flicker on and off.  I had to totally reconfigure almost everything.  There are so many jumpers in my fuse/relay panel that it's not even funny. 

I now have a switch to turn my fuel pump and ECU on.  I guess it's kind of cool, I could leave my keys in the truck, but no one would ever figure out how to start it.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 10:51:10 PM »
I think you inadvertantly came up with the big answer to how to stop the toyota thieves!  Good job :thumbs:  :beer:  :beer:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 06:02:55 PM »

You're a prick. I hope your house burns down with your family in it.

After losing a family legacy, almost losing my grandfather, losing hundreds of pictures, trophies, wallies, all inventory, 2 customer cars, all of our equipment/machinery...........getting my tires rotated is the least of my concerns.

Yeah, I'm a tool who can't use tools. Gosh, I must really not deserve those NHRA Best Engineering awards I have then.....

:headscratch:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 01:58:35 AM by BigMike »
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rebeltilldeath3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Suicide Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 09:09:29 PM »
Karma?  Yeah...... lol

Got all the wires organized and hidden away now.  Just have to pick up my relay for the lights tomorrow morning, if it comes in like they said it would.

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 11:19:51 PM »
:rofl:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 05:02:38 AM »
Man  that sucks that your stuff burned up but that Karma pregnant dog will get you everytime  :smack:   that is a good idea to put the fuel pump on a fused switch,  mines had one for years

maybe you could get a new harness :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way