Author Topic: R151F issue - Countershaft 5th  (Read 712 times)

onwheels

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Member since Feb '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
R151F issue - Countershaft 5th
« on: May 30, 2023, 06:21:01 PM »
So after getting my R151 gear shafts back together, I've gone to check the countershaft fifth thrust clearance, only to discover that it is over double the max. allowable clearance. I've pulled everything back off the end of the countershaft and found some damage that I must have missed when I tore it down.

Countershaft 5th gear - quite a bit of wear where the thrust washer face should be.

Thrust Washer - damaged where the ball recess is. Also some wear inside.

The surface of the countershaft where the thrust washer sits. You can see the two raised sections which relate to the cutouts on the thrust washer. I gather these are meant to be flat though am not 100% on that. 

So now I have to decide how to move forward and have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

Do I need a new countershaft or is that how it should look? From a quick look at some parts photos I believe it should be a flat surface, which would make sense.

I have been ordering from Partsouq who do not have the thrust washer in stock, so called local Toyota parts and they've told me its a 4+ week wait from Japan and 4 times the price (no surprise there). There is a newer style thrust washer, which has a pin rather than a ball, does anyone know if the washers are interchangeable?

C/S 5th also isn't available (there are two types and neither are in stock) - would an AX15 countershaft 5th gear work with my main shaft or would I need to change the corresponding gear up top?

I've just come across some info that shows two "Cluster Shafts" with the difference being 28mm or 30mm 5th journal, I will have to measure and see what one I have once I get home tonight.

So frustrating to be so close to completion and then this. Hoping to get it resolved without throwing too much more cash at this thing.

onwheels [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: R151F issue - Countershaft 5th
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2023, 01:44:15 PM »
Just an update on this in case anyone has a similar issue in future and finds this on Google.

I ordered a new countershaft along with everything from the intermediate plate back, including the new 5th and synchro design, thrust washer and pin, selector hub etc. It all fits together fine, except the bearing on the output shaft now needs to be changed to a smaller, thinner bearing (new type) and the case will need a custom adapter machined (or a newer style case I guess) as the original bearing is too large for the new 5th selector hub to move into position.

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2023, 09:49:01 AM »
Sorry to hear of all your issues with your rebuild. Did you ever get it back together and running?

I didn't like the gear ratios in my R151F after doing a 3.4 swap so I swapped in a gear set from and R150F from a 3.0 powered truck. So you have that option if you were unable to get the parts you needed.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

onwheels [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2023, 06:26:41 PM »
Sorry to hear of all your issues with your rebuild. Did you ever get it back together and running?

I didn't like the gear ratios in my R151F after doing a 3.4 swap so I swapped in a gear set from and R150F from a 3.0 powered truck. So you have that option if you were unable to get the parts you needed.

Unfortunately not, the drama continues. The original 5th selector doesn't work with the new set up, so I've ordered a new selector and selector shaft which I received a few days ago. I'm still waiting on another short shift rod as the whole set up changes. I'm hoping I'll get away with just these parts, though I did a quick test fit of the new selector fork and I'm not sure if it's going to fit with the original shift rods, as the part the gear shifter goes into looks like it ends up in the wrong spot.

It's going behind a 1KZ so the gearing should be ok, but I may have to buy another box and do this all again if I can't get it to work.