Author Topic: W56 Countershaft Wobble  (Read 1026 times)

rmaloney

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
W56 Countershaft Wobble
« on: Jul 23, 2019, 08:51:57 PM »
Hello, and thanks in advance. I have a "whirring" sound when the clutch pedal is OUT in N, 1, 2, 3, and 5. Because 4th is a straight shot, it leads me to believe it's one of the countershaft bearings. No noise with clutch pedal down. All gears and synchros look healthy. Not much metal in fluid when drained. All my reading seems to indicate the input shaft bearing must be the culprit, despite it looking and feeling ok. I plan to replace input shaft bearing, countershaft front bearing (much more play than input shaft bearing) and countershaft rear bearing.

My question: should the countershaft have as much wobble / play as is shown in the video? I don't want to tear this tranny apart any further, and if I replace both end bearings on the countershaft, I assume the wobble in the intermediate plate won't be such an issue, especially since that bearing is just a radial bearing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: W56 Countershaft Wobble
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2019, 10:04:46 PM »
What video?

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

rmaloney [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2019, 06:09:53 AM »
Oh, sorry. I can't post the video, because I'm a new user. Just imagine you grab the front countershaft bearing and wiggle the countershaft left and right. It can pivot about 1.5 - 2 cm (at the end) left and right in the intermediate plate bearing. Now that's a roller bearing, meant to handle just radial loads, so I expect it to be a little sloppy. Just wondering if this is an excessive amount of play. Thanks.

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 786
  • Male Posts: 944
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2019, 07:29:44 AM »
Hello, and thanks in advance. I have a "whirring" sound when the clutch pedal is OUT in N, 1, 2, 3, and 5. Because 4th is a straight shot, it leads me to believe it's one of the countershaft bearings. No noise with clutch pedal down. All gears and synchros look healthy. Not much metal in fluid when drained. All my reading seems to indicate the input shaft bearing must be the culprit, despite it looking and feeling ok. I plan to replace input shaft bearing, countershaft front bearing (much more play than input shaft bearing) and countershaft rear bearing.

My question: should the countershaft have as much wobble / play as is shown in the video? I don't want to tear this tranny apart any further, and if I replace both end bearings on the countershaft, I assume the wobble in the intermediate plate won't be such an issue, especially since that bearing is just a radial bearing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

So you kind of contradict yourself in the original post.   Being that your noise is not there in 4th that would be a indicator that the issue is not the input shaft bearing.  As it would be spinning in all gears.  The counter shaft bearings will exhibit the symptoms your describe being that the noise goes away in 4th..
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2019, 12:49:23 PM by Pat »
Sharing time between Northern Ca and Western Tn..