Author Topic: Manual in an auto truck.  (Read 1954 times)

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Manual in an auto truck.
« on: Apr 25, 2017, 04:06:13 PM »
Who has done this swap? I just got a hold of one that is an auto. Have punkin, who is a 5speed 4Runner, are the cross members the same? Are the drive shaft lengths the same? the auto is a 86 regular cab I think short bed. Not sure cus of the flat bed. any help would be appreciated

I know I had to cut the floor and punch a hole in the fire wall for the clutch master. But is that it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 280
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
Re: Manual in an auto truck.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2017, 05:09:13 PM »
to swap auto to manual, you need trans, shifter, pedals, clutch, master cylinder, slave cylinder, neutral safety switch, and either a manual ECU or block the shift points in the Automatic ECU.  different cross members.  i believe the driveshafts should be the same but the best way to do is measure from the front of the  bell housing to the flange on the tcase and compare. if you need master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch, shifters ect. give us a call here at Marlin Crawler. 559-252-7295
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2017, 06:30:41 PM »
All you need to do with the auto ecu is solder the two netural safety switches together and pull the O/D bulb out of the cluster.

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2017, 06:32:34 PM »
I have a full doner truck that I just rolled

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2017, 06:15:42 PM »
When I converted mine to a manual I tossed the auto Ecu and wired it up like a manual. But you will need to short the neutral start circuit for the starter to work. You will also need to re-work your back-up light and 4wd indicator.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2017, 09:07:51 AM »
When I converted mine to a manual I tossed the auto Ecu and wired it up like a manual. But you will need to short the neutral start circuit for the starter to work. You will also need to re-work your back-up light and 4wd indicator.
Alright that's what I was told by a friend of mine, but he wasn't 100% sure because he did his swap 15 years ago

cporche

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 07:43:22 AM »
Just got done with my swap, its actually pretty easy. Clutch Pedal or whole pedal assembly which ever you prefer (the provisions are there for the clutch pedal already. Get a factory hard line off of a donor tho, it looks way cleaner. Drive shafts are longer on the manual, my bolt pattern was different from the front as well. I pulled the auto ecu and left the engine controller as is also i had already swapped out the cluster for an sr5 cluster for a stick so no light bulbs to pull out. I have heard but couldn't find anything legitimate about it but supposedly the auto engine controller runs another degree of advanced timing. Cross member was the same, trans mount was different. I cut an old slave cylinder into pieces and bolted it onto the pedal assembly to make sure my holes were spot on in the fire wall when i drilled them. It took me about 3 hours to yank out the old trans and shove in the new one, but do yourself a favor and buy a trans jack. I wrestled mine in using pull straps and just man handling it but i would advise against that. Let me know if you have any other questions!

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 03:43:34 PM »
You're a BEAST! That is a heavy transmission to install without a jack.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

cporche

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2017, 07:56:09 AM »
You're a BEAST! That is a heavy transmission to install without a jack.

Pull straps made a world of difference tho, basically used it like a hammock and pulled the trans so i could slide under it, put my knees under the tcase and hands on the bell, just alittle bit of wiggling and cursing and it slid right in. however i couldnt tell you how many trans i have stabbed over the years well into the thousands by now...