Author Topic: 07 tundra transfer case rebuild???  (Read 14000 times)

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
Re: 07 tundra transfer case rebuild???
« Reply #30 on: Oct 21, 2016, 09:11:20 AM »
Well I for one am glad you'll never be back. Your spelling was atrocious and no one will help you here. He's an actual Toyota tech and was telling you how he felt. You should be thankful for the fact he actually helped you and not ignored it so a Toyota dealership could take all your money and you complain even more about it. This is a forum. You didn't pay anything for his opinion and didn't have to listen to it. So now move on and never come back you pretentious little prick.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Oct 21, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
This took me a couple of days to respond because i needed to swallow my anger a bit. But ur powers of observation r AMAZING. the part u dont mention is that i was right to begin with, the transfer case actuator IS faulty. As well as i am now worse off, thx to u, i am stuck in 4x4 because of testing it. U keep mentioning that i am in over my head, yet i was able to come to the same conclusion before u even answered. Ur one line answers and lack of full disclosure seems to tell me U might be in over ur head and dont have the true answer other than "it shouldnt do that". Thx fer nuthin. Next time dont be so smug and self righteous. No need to reply, i will never return to this forum again....

What's sad about this is bestgen is an excellent and honest mechanic that, I believe, told you up front that you were likely in over your head.  He then went on to help you trouble shoot the complicated 4wd system.

My dad recently had the 4wd on his 4Runner stop working and bestgen (a personal friend of mine) recommended that the dealer would likely be a better option than the mechanic that my dad has used for 30 years simply because the system is complicated to diagnose.  My dad got lucky and discovered a vacuum line that had inadvertently been disconnected.

I am sorry that this didn't work out how you wanted, but I can assure you that bestgen was only trying to be helpful in your attempt to diagnose the issue yourself.  I know some of his posts were done while working at the Toyota dealership and I'm sure he would have gone through the same procedure himself.  Sometimes communicating detailed steps on a forum/text/email is next to impossible.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Oct 21, 2016, 10:12:48 AM »
Sometimes communicating detailed steps on a forum/text/email is next to impossible.
So very true.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 677
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Oct 21, 2016, 11:13:38 AM »
Pounded on the front axle actuator and got nothing. I beat on the transfer case actuator, to no avail.

While BEATING them to get a reaction

I worked it over very heavily, trying to get the actuators to move. I beat the poor truck up pretty good. Turning the switch off and on, jamming it from drive to reverse, etc.....

I will do the hammer as soon as i get the chance.

i have a good meter.....i know how to use it....
Im pretty sure i said extensive repairs to multiple vehicles, so yes i have a hammer

While BEATING them to get a reaction
So now my truck has MORE PROBLEMS....

Pounded on the front axle actuator and got nothing.

Did it happen when you tapped on the front actuator?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that you may acutally be the problem!  #toyota'slivesmatter

if i where you I would sell your truck and buy a dodge... I personally don't even think you deserve a Toyota...who beats on a piece of electronics with a hammer??? he said tap...tap and beating are two very very different things...  You clearly have anger issues, and should most likey look to get that resolved before anything else. Who slams there tuck into drive and reverse a ton of times, thinking that is going to be the fix? go back to rebuilding motors with a hammer and a volt meter!

Leave the real trucks to the real men!

#SAVAGECABBAGEOUT

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Oct 21, 2016, 11:52:07 AM »
Who slams there tuck into drive and reverse a ton of times, thinking that is going to be the fix?

There's a story about my grandpa from my mom's growing up years where he used a similar tactic, though at that point he was beyond trying to fix the problem and was simply raging against the machine.  He was working on their car in the street and at some point lost his temper (he was an awesome guy that in his younger years had quite a temper that I never really witnessed) and got into the car and proceeded to ram the cars parked in front and behind him multiple times.  The old cars probably handled the abuse with minimal damage...

For the record, I expected that this help project was going to go bad from the beginning...

1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved