Author Topic: 1982 SR5 All Stock  (Read 8770 times)

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -118
  • Male Posts: 671
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 1982 SR5 All Stock
« Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2012, 05:02:50 PM »
I surfed the forums last night for three + hours learning about carbs. I learned a lot.
I started by pulling the line on the AAP , sure enough it had gas in it . Plugged it off and the Truck ran like new! I was going to rebuild the entire carb but now I think I will just replace the AAP Diaphram and get it smogged.
Here are a few links to help the next guy. Lots of good info and more links and pictures in them. Below is the text from the blue bass link telling about the AAP

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249626
http://www.bluebassdesign.com/boonin/carb_faq/

Auxiliary Accelerator Pump Diaphragm (AAP)
The auxiliary accelerator pump diaphragm (AAP) is located at the front base of the driver's side of the carb. It has three screws and one vacuum line.

To check if it is bad, simply pull off the vacuum line and look and smell for fuel. If there is gas in the line, the diaphragm is punctured or cracked and should be replaced. I have heard of people simply plugging the vacuum port and being fine, although your idle/take off may stumble a little when cold.

All the AAP does is squirt a little extra fuel into the mixture when the engine is cold. It has no effect on the engine when warm - even when not working properly. The AAP is vacuum operated - when vacuum is applied the diaphragm opens which then adds a little extra fuel. The vacuum is applied by the BVSV which is screwed into a water jacket on the head. This senses the temperature of the coolant and applies or does not apply vacuum to the AAP.

A new diaphragm comes with any rebuild kit or can be purchased from the dealer and maybe from some aftermarket parts stores.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------