We currently are not offering Customer Support on our Forum.
Please use our Store website for: Customer Contact.

Author Topic: Marlin Crawler Front Chromoly Output Shaft vs. Stock  (Read 7198 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Marlin Crawler Front Chromoly Output Shaft vs. Stock
« on: May 08, 2011, 12:12:26 PM »
Updates on this...

I am finishing up a similar tech article for our Rear Chromo 30-spline output shaft, and I realized I calculated the percentages for the front output shaft backwards!

Here is what I originally calculated:

...and here are the corrected values (I rearranged the data to match the layout of the comparison image above):

What I did was I calculated the percentage difference of how much smaller the stock shaft is compared to our shaft.
What I should have done is calculated the percentage difference of how much larger our shaft is compared to the stock shaft.

In other words, I showed how much smaller the stock shaft is compared to ours instead of comparing how much larger our shaft is to the stock.

I have always known how to do this, but while calculating the rear output shaft figures, I realized I was getting different numbers than compared to similar features of the front output. I was like :screwy: I took the difference divided by our new part, instead of taking the difference divided by the original part. The later is proper for showing the % gain of a new component over an original component.

I have updated both the image and the text of my opening thread above, as well as the information on our website. I will correct the threads on other forums as well.

Sorry for the mistake! Now the numbers REALLY prove how much larger our shaft is!! :woohoo: :bowdown: :turtle:

BigMike

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki