Author Topic: TG Rock Assault™ Trunnion Bearing Eliminator Kit  (Read 28543 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: TG Rock Assault™ Trunnion Bearing Eliminator Kit
« on: Aug 30, 2010, 03:19:30 AM »

now i really know nothing about these, but are the bearings really that bad? i know for darn sure toyota spent a lot more money on that axle designing their system than trail-gear did trying to make this product.... i would trust toyota's oem process and research and development a lot more.... maybe that is just me though :scratchhead:

I am with you on that man. I wont criticize someone for trying to make something better though. People just need to look at stuff through their own eyes instead of just going with what is new and hip. Trail Gear has this, where as Marlin has their own upgrade for said bearings. Which is better? I personally have no idea. Which setup would I trust more? Marlins, no questions asked, for reasons I will not get into. (I know this is going against what I am saying but in this situation I feel justified in saying it) What would I do? Scrap the toy axles and work with something bigger.

There is no point trying to make a toy axle strong enough to take the loads that spacers and minimally backspaced wheels put on them when coupled with the large tires that are being ran on them. Toy front axles are marginal in stock form with 33s. Sure you can upgrade them to potentially handle 40s, but at what cost? And at the end of the day it is still a pretty narrow axle. Why not start with a larger axle, say a Dana 60 from a Chevrolet, and built it up? I feel many people would be much happier with their setups going this route if they really (ab)use their toys.

My :twocents: