Author Topic: 91 4Runner Rear Leaf Issue  (Read 1866 times)

zembalayan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 254
  • Male Posts: 486
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
Re: 91 4Runner Rear Leaf Issue
« on: Oct 30, 2009, 07:04:38 AM »
I have a 91 4Runner with 4" MC Leaf's in front and 5" in the rear.  With a moderate load (including the spare tire and carrier) it has a serious sag in the rear and I'm constantly bottoming on the bumps stops.  Have others had a similar experience?  What have others done to correct this issue?

Thanks in advance  :beerchug:

I've got Marlin's 5" HD springs in the rear of my 93 4Runner with 6" shackles (and Marlin's 4" front springs with 4.5" shackles.  I am really happy with them, but I had to make some simple adjustments as they broke-in. 

So after a few trips in 2008, I realized that the springs were beginning to break-in, and I noticed that my rear shackle angle had relaxed a bit too much since the install, requiring relocation of the rear shackle hanger backward to accomplish what SocalWheeler71 suggested without changing to a longer shackle.  You can ask others who have wheeled with me, I carry a lot more than a moderate amount of weight in my Runner, and I have a full size spare and an internal cage which adds even more weight. 

After a slight relocation backward of the rear shackle hanger, I have had no problems with the rear set up.  Despite being HD, my rear springs flex really well IMHO.  I definitely think that the HD springs are what keeps me from sagging, and I tell anyone who is rear-leaf-swapping a 4Runner that they should get Marlin's HD 5" springs with their regular 4" springs in the front.  I know some guys suggest that Marlin's springs were designed only with a 4x4 P/U's weight in mind; therefore, Marlin's springs do not work well with 4Runner applications.  I don't think this is all together right because Marlin does offer the HD rears specifically for heavier rides, which have worked well for me, and I also know that there are a lot of people, including Marlin himself, who carry a lot of weight in their P/U truck beds and also run his standard 4" and 5" springs without any issues.  I think you might just need to adjust your set-up.  Are you running the HD springs?  How long has it been since your initial install?  Post some pics.

Here are some pics of mine; it sits pretty level here on the street:

It's certainly not the lowest thing in the world, but here is one where you can see my shackle angles and my springs, which you can tell are still breaking-in, and which is just fine. :yesnod:

Here is one from Moab: