Poll

What to get?

Toyota 3.4
Chevy 4.3

Author Topic: 3.4 or 4.3  (Read 9141 times)

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
Re: 3.4 or 4.3
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2005, 08:54:56 PM »
I was reading the swap info on offroadsolutions.com and according to them you can't use your 3.0 tranny with a 3.4 since the computers, shifters, and transfer cases are different.  There swap kit says to use a 3.4 tranny from a 4wd, and a gear driven T-case from an early truck

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/technicalarticles/34l_conversion_kit_auto.htm

Sounds like some coin to do that swap right.

I like the idea of keeping it all Toyota but it sounds expensive if you need to buy a trans, T-case anyway

Toyota builds great motors at the Factory, but Joe Schmo at the rebuild shop doesn't neccessarily rebuild good Toyota motors.  Personally I will only use a motor that's either factory or built by me.  I rather do it myself and know what I'm getting.  I used to buy motors, but too many had problems.  Since I've been doing my own stuff, no problems.

I think a Vortec 4.3 using an early 700r4 trans would be the ticket.  Use the early trans to avoid having to deal with electonics.  A TV Cable operated 700r4 is a great trans.  No need to have a computer operated trans.  A 4.3 uses Small block parts, pistons, rods, valves, bearings and rings, timing covers.  Cheap to build.

Personally I think the ideal 4x4 motor is all iron, block and heads.  How many have warped an aluminum head in their yota.  All it takes is getting it hot one time and your dead.  That could be fatal on a trail.  At least with an iron motor if it gets hot you can shut it down and address the issue.  And if its a water pump, coolant hose you can fix it and chances are the motor is fine.  I met a guy that overheated his all aluminum Land Rover V8, warped the block.  :smack: "DOH!" just doesn't say enought in that situation.

But if you like aluminum, you can build an all aluminum 4.3 and I bet its still cheaper than a 3.4.  And if you want to add forced induction, it's available from the aftermarket or you can run a factory turbo a la GMC Typhoon.

And torque is king in a 4x4 truck not hp.  You could build a 500, 700, 1000hp small block chevy but that's not a good motor in a truck.  A stock Vortec injected motor is all you need either 4.3 or 5.7.

Sorry I was so long winded, I got on a roll
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2005, 11:15:02 PM by Huhwhye »
'04 Taco DC 4x4