Author Topic: What about FJ-80 front axles?  (Read 9193 times)

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Re: What about FJ-80 front axles?
« on: Jan 17, 2005, 08:40:56 AM »
OOOOHHHH YYYYAAAAAA, much bigger birfs. So far, I am very happy with my 80 front.
Yes=63", yes=pass side drop.
Biggest down fall is the steering arm location. They come off the bottom of the knuckle, then bend and anle up to about the middle of the housing. The cool part is that the tie rod is behind the housing, the bad part is it's below the third member. The other prob is that the top caps on the knuckle have only 2 bolts, so using a hy-steer arm isn't doable. But don't fear, there are still some options. I think it's OTT that makes arms for the top of the knuckle that use the 2 bolts, and then the ABS bolt hole also. They look pretty good. The only thing I didn't like about them was they moved the tie rod in front of the axle, so it has the same set up as a mini truck.
I wanted to keep my tie rod behind, and also move everything up, so I fabbed my own arms. I used the 2 studs, and then welded a verticle gusset to the knuckle that gives lateral support to the steering arm (helps reduce the push pull forces on the studs) Then the arm is drilled and tapped and bolts come through the side of the gusset into the arms to hold it all togeather nice and tight. The holes in the gussets are slightly over sized to allow for differant shim thicknesses so knuckle pre load can still be adjusted.
It's some more work, but I think is was worth the effort, and the cool factor is right up there. It's fun to sit back a ways and watch guys try and figure out what is so differant about that toyota front end. (it looks like a mini, but i'm not sure)
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2005, 08:45:01 AM by FIREBALL »