Author Topic: Police Say Syringes Will Help Stop Drunk Driving  (Read 2279 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Police Say Syringes Will Help Stop Drunk Driving
« on: Sep 14, 2009, 09:02:09 PM »
Sounds like they just need to make the law more clear. 

Here in NV, if you are pulled over for drunk driving, a field sobriety test is performed.  If the officer has reasonable suspicion based on the field sobriety test, they ask whether you'd like to submit to a breath test or a blood test.  You have your choice of either one.  If you submit to a preliminary breath test in the field, and it is over .08, you'll be arrested, and taken to the jail.  Once you get to the jail, they will either take a blood test or a breath test there, once again your choice. 

I believe you can also request a blood test instead of the preliminary breath test, but you've got to go to the jail for that. Not positive though.

If you refuse testing, you are automatically arrested, you lose your license for a year, and you will undergo a blood test at the jail. 

Basically, if you refuse testing, you lose your license for a year, automatically.  This is spelled out on your DL application, and when you sign it, you agree to it.  The application is a binding contract. 

Remember, driving is a privelidge, not a right.

I see many issues with a cop being allowed to take blood in the field, as the article implies.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent