Author Topic: Fixing a tire bead  (Read 15171 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing a tire bead
« Reply #30 on: Sep 04, 2008, 10:57:22 AM »
This is true but a tire can explode and cause some serious damage even at 15 psi.

:werd: and some trails have some open areas that you can get some speed up on, even though you're offroad.  Jury rigging components of your rig that are potential safety hazards can be incredibly dangerous.  Have I done it, yes.  would I do it again, no.  Its just not worth it.  Do you really want to have that worn u-joint decide to let go, and your driveshaft make its presence known inside the cab?  A buddy of mine has a hole in the floor of the extended cab section of his truck from that happening.  A lugnut or two missing can turn into 3-4, and then what?  Now you've got an 80lb. projectile??  We have a responsibility to build our rigs as safely as possible, both for our own safety, and for the spectators and fellow wheelers.  We can never eliminate all the risk, but if we control what we are capable of controlling, we're better off. 

jkief86 doesn't have the money for a tire, so it has been recommended he put a tube in it.  That is the safest alternative other than not wheeling that has been proposed. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent