Author Topic: Project RAMBUS  (Read 4912 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: Project RAMBUS
« on: Aug 15, 2008, 06:44:30 PM »

I cannot believe i forgot that it had fuel injection. They had TBI since what? 88? Anyways, sorry for the screw up.

If the truck is in that nice of shape, I would definately restore it. Fix engine. Fix the dent, paint it. New carpet. If you are going to use this to tow much of anything, I would strongly advise upgrading the axles. Those 10 bolts are pretty weak, especially the rear ones. My friends have blown a few 10 bolts (all my friends drive chevy/GMC, no other toyotas :down: ).

The reason I said a small lift was because that rear end is SAGGY!! If you don't want to do a lift, at least throw an AAL or a helper spring setup in there to lift the back up a little. Lifts for those old trucks are cheap enough that I would just throw a lift under it. It is solid front axle right? If so, then lifts are pretty cheap.

He should give it to you. You will treat it right. I cannot believe he was just going to junk it! That would be one of the trucks we go to take parts out of at the yard, and end up just buying the whole thing to take home and rebuild. Like I said, it is a really nice truck.

I think it was 88, I don't really know. No need to be sorry. I don't actually know very much about chevys, I mean besides no brainer stuff. Since this was my dad's truck I did work on it from time to time but not enough to learn as much as I learned about my toyota.

This thing is in great shape and thats why I am so hell bent on keeping it. All it needs is a new/rebuilt engine and some love and it will be reliable for another 20 years. I think right now my dad is just so angry at not only himself but the truck as well and that is why he is insisting on selling it. Out of anger.

I do want to upgrade the axles for sure but at this point I have very little money to spend on my 4runner, let alone this thing. I told my parents I would pay for all the repairs and parts but I do have to get it running soon. For now though I have to take it slow. Engine is my top priority, everything else will come a lot later. The springs also need to be swapped, they are almost 20 years old and have been well used since the day we bought it. Gonna take a while though. I am trying to get a second job to get some more income because I need to do a lot of work on my Toyota right now too.

And I definitely agree that this thing has TONS of potential. I know it is HIS truck but come on. The old fart was going to throw it away like yesterdays garbage!! I will gladly make him an offer once he settles down a little from this whole incident.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting