Author Topic: Doing A Bodylift  (Read 2974 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Doing A Bodylift
« on: Mar 23, 2008, 09:18:52 PM »
Lifting The Bed

Step 1
Loosen but do not remove all six (shortbed) /eight (longbed).

Step 2
Remove the rear bumper

Step 3
Remove all the bed mounting bolts from the passenger side of the bed only. Using a hydraulic jack and a wooden block slowly lift the bed just high enough to slide the lift blocks in on the bed mounts.  Now from the bottom install the new bolts, washers and install the nut from the top. The reason for this is you will not be able to install the bolts from the top since they are now too long. Don’t tighten them at this point.

Step 4
Repeat step 3 on the drivers side of the bed.

[Note: I don’t install the bed support blocks and it is up to you weather you want them on or not]

[Note: I don’t remove the vent hose or fuel filler hose but I watch them very carefully while lifting the bed. If it looks like either one is getting too tight  loosen them, if everything looks ok leave them alone.]

Step 5
Reinstall rear bumper in its original location, it will not be lifted.

Step 6
Double-check both the cab and bed bolts for tightness, if any are loose retighten them. Also take another look at all lines, wires, and cables to make sure they are not binding. Check to make sure the engine ground strap from the firewall is not too tight.

Step 7
Reinstall both battery cables, it may be necessary  to replace them if they are too short. You may also have to extend the smaller wires going to the battery posts.

Step 8
Double-check and make sure you can shift through all the gears including 4wd low and high. You should also take a test drive making sure you can shift through all the gears and also in 4wd low and high. You need to make sure you are getting full engagement of the gears. Adjust the boot or cut the floorboard as needed. I have never had an issue with a 2” lift but the 3” does hit the floor pan most of the time and will require some cutting.

That pretty much sums it up, about the only things I didn’t cover was a step by step lift for the 4Runner but if you read the instructions you will see where it is different from the trucks. The one other issue I can think of is if you have an auto trans, with the 2” I didn’t have to cut the linkages on the shifters since there is an adjustment on the rods. If you do a 3” you will have to cut the linkages and lengthen them.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 01:43:10 PM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you