Author Topic: Doing A Bodylift  (Read 3070 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Doing A Bodylift
« on: Mar 23, 2008, 09:17:25 PM »
Type Of Bodylifts:

Homemade
You can make one yourself if you have the tools out of  common items like polyethylene and similar products and even hock pucks have been used.  Doing it this way does require thinking out the entire process and getting the required hardware yourself.

Ready To Install

These are pre-made ready to install kits, they come with almost everything needed from start to finish. I say almost because you will have certain things that will come up with almost every kit that is something that is not included. These kits do come with the common issues that come with lifting your truck but not all of the issues that occur. Even in these kits there are things that won’t be used but they are there in case.

I have always gone with the Ready to Install kits, they are inexpensive and save time on research. I have seen the hockey puck lift and they do work, some say the fall apart but I think that has more to do with the area in which you live more than them not being strong enough. I think if they are in a cold climate they get hard and may fall apart when frozen. I’ve only experienced them in the warmer areas. Still even this 1 inch lift requires you doing all the leg work to get all the parts to get it done right.

1 inch

A 1 inch is about the easiest to get done, in fact you can get away without moving the radiator in most cases by trimming the fan shroud  and since it is only an inch minimal adjustment on of certain parts that are on the body and frame are required.

2 inch

This would be my favorite lift it is the best one since it creates some excellent clearance and doesn’t require too much adjustment between the parts and pieces that connect between the body and frame.

3 inch

I don’t like this lift at all, it is too much and body shift usually occurs. It will require extensive modifications including extending the tcase and transmission shifters and enlarging the holes for them in the floor pan.

So for these reasons and the fact that I like the 2 inch this is the lift I will go over in this thread. This is an informational thread for those interested in doing  this lift so no bashing, keep it informative and educational so that those interested can make an educated detremination on weather or not to do this lift, thanks.
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2008, 09:44:06 PM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you