Author Topic: Ultimate 3RZ Drivetrain  (Read 29454 times)

JESSE_at_TLT

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Trails Less Traveled
Re: Ultimate 3RZ Drivetrain
« Reply #30 on: Sep 28, 2004, 11:30:14 AM »
TRANSMISSIONS
Thanks for looking into those dimensions and gear ratios Mike-

What automatic transmission does the 4WD 3RZ Tacoma use? Is it the same as the V6 Tacoma/Tundra?

Do you know anything about the new 6-speed manual transmissions that are coming in the '05 Tacoma? Might as well use the engine too though, huh?

When I talked to G-Force, they told me that they make custom bellhousings all the time for their transmissions and since they already make a bellhousing for the 3RZ, MAYBE they could adapt it to the mounting pattern of the R-series transmissions. That would be really cost-effective, because their bell-housings only run about $300. I found a link to Browell Bellhousing on the Paradise Racing website. Those certified bellhousings get a little bit more expensive...

TRANSFER-CASES
So all of the Tacomas DO use the same transfer-case? That's cool. Would running a Marlin Crawler weaken the drivetrain any/significantly? I would really like to run one of your dual-case setups for running trails, especially if we gear a tight-ratio transmission (like Supra or 2WD Tacoma gearing).

I'm also really interested in the possibility of adapting an AWD transfer-case, like the new 4Runners use. I was told that the wiring and ECU that controls the electronically-shifted T-case would be a nightmare to adapt though. Can you think of ANY other strong AWD driver's-side output AWD transfer-cases from other applications (I think the newer IFS lexus/Land Cruisers are passenger's-side output).
Trails Less Traveled