Author Topic: While you were at the roundup...UPDATE 9-14  (Read 4627 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: While you were at the roundup...UPDATE 9-14
« on: Sep 14, 2006, 02:53:03 PM »
  This lake is actually half inside and half outside the wilderness boundary, split right down the middle.  Years ago, logging companies cut roads above and around the lake, making the trail harder to find.  My legs were feelin ok, so I took the short walk up the trail to where it met the road.  I was following the road and the halfass trail markers on it, just hoping at some point I'd see the trail shoot off the side, when I heard something in the brush above the road.  Years of experience have told me it's most likely one of 3 animals, since it was being pretty loud.  Squirrels can actually be very loud in the brush, as can can quail.  Last choice is a bear.  I worked closer to the brush to see if I could find the source of the noise.  It was hard to pinpoint the location of the noise through the trees in the gully, but after a few minutes I saw a very clean sign of where it was coming from when I saw a dark blob moving through the brush.  It was really hard to get a pic of him, but if you look about 2/3 the way down the pic, nearly in the middle, you'll see the dark blob.  As quick as I saw him I lost track of him.  No biggie, he didn't know I was there so I just kept on my way.

A little way down the road I found the trail and began up it.  I went a short distance up the trail before again hearing the same sound.  I says to myself I says, "there's no way he moved over here that quickly!", but sure enough he was there.  I once again approached for a better angle and got the camera ready.  I figured I'd have a chance for one quick pic before he bolted, so I wanted to be ready.  I was dead wrong.  Where he had stopped didn't present a good shot, so at the risk of spooking him I stepped straight to the side, a move that will typically spook any bear.  The view was even worse, so I moved back over, and again he didn't budge, not even moving an ear.  I took the only pic that was offered and decided to break up out little encounter by waving and saying "hey buddy", but to no avail.  He still just stood there staring at me, at which point I had something happen to me that hasn't happened in atleast 14 years.  I got nervous.  I got beyond nervous and for the first time watching a bear, I actually got a little shaky.  I put waved both arms at almost full stretch and said, "ok buddy, I see you there", stepping once again to the side.  Still nothing.  He wasn't making any effort to leave or even scout out an escape route.  At this point, I began contemplating my options and what I should do, and wondered if I should switch the digi cam over to video.  While I was thinking I was still watching him.  Nearly a minute had gone by, just standing there having the most intense staring contest I've ever had, which I will say sparked quite the adrenaline rush.  About the time I looked down at the camera to choose my setting he turned around and left, walking for a few steps then running.  I tried my damndest to get a pic, but I can't tell if he's in the shot or not, not to mention it's a little fuzzy.  Maybe somebody with a better moniter will see him in this pic.

The last pic is a perfect shot of his rear pad and a big deer hoof print for size reference. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!