Author Topic: Newbie With an IFS Truck Questions  (Read 3646 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Newbie With an IFS Truck Questions
« on: Jan 30, 2006, 12:18:50 AM »
You can apply his answer to any IFS truck you intend on buying, Sadly the only straight axle EFI truck for the U.S. was made only 1 year and is the best choice to grab. Anything before 85 was carbed only. Once you hit the IFS' it is pretty much the same across the board except engine choices, EFI 4cyl., EFI 6cyl., turbo charged 4cyl., Diesel 4cyl., and I think there is a 4cyl. carbed truck too.  Now if you want a certain engine you may again be limited by the years they were made. It all depends on what you want, when it comes to the IFS, if you take it out and beat it up it won't last, you will break stuff especially if you lift it and put larger sizes of tires on it. Unlike a straight axle to where as long as it is open you generally will not break anything even running up to 35's, if you lock the front you'll need to take care not to crank the wheel till it hits the stops and then try to move the truck that is when you'll bust your birfs. I have found as long as you are already moving before you make that turn the load is smooth and evenly distributed on the birf. I have used both IFS and straight axle trucks to the same levels and have only broken one axleshaft in the almost 20 yrs. I've wheeled, yes it was an IFS Toyota halfshaft and I was goofing around trying to climb a rutted hill I had no business trying.  Now I'm not saying I'm real easy on my trucks either, I will and have pushed them way beyond their limits and for the most part brought them back alive. I think I've only needed to be towed home twice and that was my Willys. I wheeled the crap out of my IFS truck and if you set it up properly it can be done, but nothing beats a nice fat straight axle.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you