Author Topic: Ultimate 3RZ Drivetrain  (Read 29456 times)

JESSE_at_TLT

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Trails Less Traveled
Re: Ultimate 3RZ Drivetrain
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2006, 05:50:51 PM »
Thanks for looking into those gear ratios Mike. The Supra gearing is EXACTLY what I was hoping for (close-ratio 4spd and a better OD). That's AWESOME. I'll still have an 87:1 crawl ratio, which should be OK since I'm only running 35" tires. I talked to Marlin about all this stuff yesterday morning. He was excited about using an R-series transmission behind a 3RZ too. So I guess we can start assembling a transmission as soon as we figure out exactly what parts to use and confirm that the adapter kit doesn't require any special parts, etc.

I haven't even started building the turbo engine yet. The plan has always been to is to build a drivetrain that will be able to take the punishment so we don't spend to much time in the desert or on the trails fixing broken parts. After I do something about the front differential and CV's, I'll start the turbo buildup using a spare engine and then swap into the truck to minimize down-time. I haven't even put together a parts list yet, but I'm probably going to run a stock bottom end to start with (just to see what it can take). Thanks for all the compliments. I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out.

Mike-
Just out of curiosity, do you know how the Supra gearing compares to a 2WD truck  (r-series) transmission?
Oh, and I don't think it's the same guy (from Australia). Follow the links I posted to see some pictures of his truck (I think it's white with blue racing stripes).
Trails Less Traveled