Author Topic: What kind of CLutch?  (Read 8984 times)

Matt_BC

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of CLutch?
« on: Nov 18, 2005, 02:22:50 PM »
Coyotefrg,

you should read more carefully what I wrote .... lets clarify one more time:

1. Max clamp Load:

22RE: 1200 lbs
3VZE: 1600 lbs

2. Clamp Load and Pedal Pressure

There are two loads of interest around your clutch:

a. Clamp Load
This is how hard the diaphragm presses the clutch disc on the flywheel.
As we know for each action there is a reaction. When you disengage your clutch the Reaction comes from your thrust bearings (that doesnt mean they move but they counter the load. If they didnt something would move other than the diapgragm and disc). The "Action" comes crom your slave cylinder/clutch fork.

On the 3VZE this clamp load must not be over 1600 lbs (long story)

b. Pedal Pressure
To disengage your clutch you have to lever the diaphragm/PP so it will stop pushing onto the disc.
Why is this relevant?  Because the 3VZE slave cylinder will only handle 1600 lbs pressure plates and be damged (over time) if a stronger pressure plate is used.

Why do we care about these ratings? Because you can get a pressure plate with more than 1600 lbs and what is dont to make sure it doesnt "feel" too hard ? They change the leverage on the diaphragm so that with the same load as stock you exert a higher force onto the diaphragm.  You will need to travel a little more with your clutch fork.  The simple laws of leverage apply here.

3. Are there pressure plates for the 3VZE with more than 1600 lbs (clamp load)?

Yes there are. The unbeliever may want to contact clutchexpress.com  who offered me a 2000 lbs pressure plate which was the weakest they had.  These pressure plates have a different diaphragm  leverage and the pedal load is the SAME as stock. Again, through leverage we have a little more travel and same force on one side, resulting on a grreater force and less travel on the other side.

4.  Clamp Load issues

I have only heard of the 3VZE having issues with too high clamp load.  Are these tales or truth? I have no evidence for either but since 1600 lbs will do the job in 99% of all cases I have no desire to experiment with more clamp load.... Other may feel free do to so.

I suspect if you use more than 1200 lbs and standard leverage on a 22 RE you will destroy your slave cylinder. 

If you do the same with a 3VZE with over 1600 lbs it will destroy the slave cylinder. UNLESS you have a pressure plate where they changed the leverage.  If your actual clamp load is higher than 1600 on the 3VZE .. well we discussed that briefly ;)

P.S.  It would be interesting to know why marlin only offers 1600 lbs for the 3VZE?

I accept NWOR as being questionable but Marlin and Downey know what they are doing and they also only sell 1600 lbs for the 3VZE....

5. Your catalog
No offence, but it would sure be interesting ;) I would like double check your information though....

What Downey writes in their catalog is usually correct ...

6. Your clutch
You are running a 1200 lbs pressure plate and your bearings are fine?

Thats great :)

But why does it not surprise us?

Beacuse the 22 RE is fine with 1200 lbs and also nobody ever claimed its trust bearings can not handle more than 1200 lbs.

So, although I am happy for your clutch and motor, but really it has nothing to do with the 3VZE and the 1600+ lbs issue.  The issue is also not that the bearings cant handle the load, its that the way one of the bearings is designed it will inhibit oil flow to that bearing.

And one more time. Other than not seeing a more than 1600 lbs pressure plate and reading one report on the issue I dont have any other information.  And Downey and NWOR stating it does damage the bearings. For me thats enough reason to stick with the totally adequate 1600 lbs. We are talking 3VZE here. This has nothing to do with the 22RE! (Nothing).

I take your word on 22RE issues and beleive you are knowedgeable  :biggthumpup: ,  but the 3VZE bearing issues is a different story....

Lets not let this discussion get out of hand.... If you have some objective things to say or show about the 3VZE and where I am wrong, plase do so ... but stick to whats objective.

Matt