Author Topic: what to do with my "new" 85 truck  (Read 2620 times)

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: what to do with my "new" 85 truck
« on: Jul 22, 2005, 11:40:26 PM »
Junkyard springs are easy...if you want to go inexpensive, take the rear springsand mount them in the front with an extended shackle.  You will need to add a couple extra leaves to the pack to compensate for the weight of the engine.  This can be done by adding leaves out of your front pack, or by getting another rear pack and ading extra springs out of that.  WT will tell you that standard chevt 63 inch springs can be tough to work with on a pickup truck as they are made for a much heavier truck.  They tend to work better on runners because of the added weight of the top and seats.  For your truck he may advise another route, I think they are caddilac springs, but I may be mistaken.  These longer springs in the rear will require moving the spring perches forward...this will require you to have some welding skills, or know someone who can.  If you choose that you do not want to relocate your spring mounts you can go with other manufacturers that produce stock length lift springs-
www.skyjacker.com
www.downeyoff-road.com
are a few.  You will find that a cheap way to run longer shocks in the front to accomodate the flex allowed by the "rears up front" is to use Ford F250 shock mounts in place of your stock mounts.  You can run a 12-14 inch shock depending on placement.  For the rear, the easiest way to extend travel is to angle your shocks inward.  There are many different setups you can run, search a bit and you will find plenty of pictures.  Smartest thing to realize, however, is that flex is not the most inportant thing.  Flex is nice, but you will be much better served to do some reading, and try to install a suspension that will be well balanced.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0