Author Topic: Electric fan problems and a question about temp the sensor  (Read 696 times)

sirdeuce

• Online Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1293
  • Male Posts: 537
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Yes, the less the fan cycles, without causing an overtemp event, the better. I've not liked to use the sensor that goes through the radiator. If the sensor is open to airflow it's open to weather and dirt. Another thing that can affect an open sensor is the airflow created when the fan comes on. (not sure if that sheds any light here.)
Best sensor location is in the coolant flow coming OUT of the ENGINE, where it's hottest. I've used "adapters" that are installed in the upper radiator hose that have tapped bosses for the sensor that work well enough and I've seen people drill and tap the manifold for a sensor. Some manifolds have extra bungs for sensors. The inline hose adapter requires cutting the hose and using two clamps. Not my favorite as it creates extra possible coolant leaks.
Next best location is on METAL coolant containment. Some sensors are "contact" sensors that are stuck to coolant passages. Don't affix these to the rubber hose or the plasic radiator tank. Don't put these on the radiator cooling fins. Do use heat conductive grease between the sensor and the heat source and insulate the sensor from air contact. Don't use plastic zip ties, they don't last. Use stainless safety wire or hose clamps. I've seen people use JB weld as well, but I don't have the experience with that.

I'd suggest a Davies-Craig fan controller, best I've found yet.

If you want to go a step further look into electric pumps as well. Electric pumps use less power than the belt driven pump and eliminate the thermostat. Also allows the use of an underdrive crank pulley.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.