Author Topic: 1200 lb vs 1600 lb clutch  (Read 5132 times)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: 1200 lb vs 1600 lb clutch
« on: Jun 09, 2019, 12:33:45 PM »
Remember grip lessens as clutch disc wears (there's less spring pressure).    The slightly different step size just gives you a bit more spring compression.     Search this site for 'clutch step' 'flywheel step'...…….

You don't bother with new flywheel.

When you get your old flywheel surfaced, it's 2 passes.   

First pass is the surface that contacts the clutch plate.  They take off minimum amount that will surface the contact area.

Second pass is to get the step the correct height.     You just tell the machine shop you want .026 rather than whatever the stock step height is.

Also measure the before and after thickness of flywheel.     Then add washer/shim under fork pivot bolt that's the same thickness as what you lost on flywheel.    This puts the fork in the same relative position it was before you machined the flywheel.

I’m still having trouble. :smack:

Perhaps I’m missing something, or my old brain cells just are not firing on all 4 cylinders.  ???

Hypothetically - on my 22RE flywheel with 100,000 miles on it -- If the measurement between the surface of the bolt hub that bolts to the end of the crankshaft, and the surface where the clutch disc will contact is 1.00”

I take it in to a machine shop that has a sander for resurfacing flywheels and they clean and resurface the .020” step.  They sand it down .010” to get it correctly flat and resurfaced (Pass #1).

Now the step is lowered by .010” and the measurement from end of the crankshaft to the step face is .990”

If I want the step to measure .026” - How does the machine shop add back (.036”) to the thickness of the flywheel from the surface of the bolt hub that bolts to the end of the crankshaft to the surface of the step where it contacts the clutch face? (Pass #2).

I understand why the clamping pressure of the pressure plate could possibly become less over time.  Although insufficient clamping pressure is not a common failure.

How thick is an OEM replacement disc from Aisin, Beck Arnley, M-Pact,  Exedy, LUK, Centerforce, etc?  :dunno:

Why does Centerforce spec their 22RE flywheel step at .018”?  :dunno:

How much “Marcel” is built into each of those manuafacturer’s disc?  :dunno:

If you add too much, or increase a step incorrectly you run the risk of minimizing the air gap then a potential issue with the clutch disc not fully disengaging from the flywheel.  :thumbdown:

Who came up with the .026” number?  :screwy:

Gnarls.  :blah:
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2019, 01:05:30 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein