Author Topic: G52 metal shavings  (Read 4495 times)

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: G52 metal shavings
« on: Oct 18, 2018, 02:27:31 PM »
A transmission failure at 230K miles... So if an average miles per year is 20k, in 11 years of driving the vehicle your transmission failed.  What failed?

In 20+ years of owning, wheeling, and actively being involved in the early Toyota trucks community, I have not heard or read about transmission failures because of towing something.  I doubt that the Toyota engineers would spec the towing capacity on these early trucks at 2500 and 3500 lbs (that means you could tow a 20 foot pontoon boat including the weight of the trailer) if there was a known issue with premature transmission failures.

Towing with a standard transmission equipped vehicle, the clutch disc would probably be the common potential failure and wear factor.

Obviously if you are towing something every day, like a commercial use vehicle, the potential failure is greater.  If you are towing something like travel trailer or a boat a half dozen times a year, I can’t imagine how that would cause a premature transmission failure.  Like engine failures, it would be mostly attributed to neglect or abuse.

Gnarls.
I'm simply giving my experiences with the G52, everyone that I've met that has had one, has had one fail. One guy was towing a trailer of Cannabis in California, and his blew out on the freeway.
I went around a corner and mine just grenaded the bearing and destroyed itself.
The new truck I got had it replaced, I speculate it was due to towing, since they did a bunch with it. These transmissions in these trucks are pretty burly, with the exception of the G series.

What I've learnt to pro-long the life is:

Don't tow with it
Don't do full throttle in 5th gear
Replace the secondary shaft bearing.

Best thing? Get a W56.

Before my transmission went out, it got exceedingly loud. Especially in neutral. Next day, it was gone in all gears. 

Since the secondary shaft bearing is the first thing to go on these, replace it. Marlin installs oversized bearings on their have duty unit I believe.
But if it doesn't make noise in neutral, and it shifts good, I would say you are fine. Drive it till it goes.

I was lucky to find a G52 on eBay for $500.
Infact, there's a Marlin built L52 HD on sale in my local classifieds for $75, with the Transfercase.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk