Author Topic: The horror that is "Remanufactured" Engines?  (Read 11834 times)

cporche

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: The horror that is "Remanufactured" Engines?
« on: Aug 25, 2017, 07:41:30 AM »
I’m always somewhat puzzled by these discussions. 

This discussion can have many perspectives… here’s mine.

Each person has a different need or desire, so the variables to a rebuild can be endless.

I’ve read umpteen thousand posts on 4x4 forums, other automotive forums, been part of conversations, and discussed this with various machine shops, repair shops, speed shops, performance parts suppliers……. for about 18 years.

Rebuilding a Toyota 22 is not rocket science, brain surgery, or nuclear physics.  BUT… there is enough information readily available in a few hours of research to figure out what you need to know about rebuilding an engine and what you need to know about buying a “remanufactured” engine.

Depending your abilities, timeframe, money, and space, you try to make the best decision.  It is an attractive option to just order one online and begin bolting it in.  Warranties don’t mean didley.  Typically it will cost you time, money, and a lot of frustration to actually process a warranty claim on a remanufactured engine.

It did quite a bit of research and contemplating (BUT, admittedly not enough), visited a couple auto shops, had detailed discussions with 4 machine shops, several reputable Toyota engine builders, and spent more than a couple hours on the net reading about the offers from the various remanufactured engine suppliers, and aftermarket parts suppliers.

I had the time, saved up budget, space, and most of the tools… so I decided to do it myself.  Why?  I didn’t fully trust a repair shop.  Prices from LCE or 22RE Performance would exceed my budget.  I wanted the experience and enjoy the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Rebuilding a 22 so it will last 200K to 300K miles without a major failure requires precise machining, quality parts, and an experienced engine builder who knows the tricks.  Oh… yeah.. there’s the posts about a guy who claims to rebuild one in 2 hours, or over a week end while drinking a case a beer, and only spending $500.  Really?

22RE Performance - arguably is a VERY reputable Toyota 22R/RE engine builder - will build you a Stage 1 22R long block for $2500… it only take them about 40 hours to build it and about 24 weeks to before it ships to you. WHY?

Knowing what I know now, spending over a year and spending north of $5,000 on my rebuilt 22RE, if my Corolla was really a DeLorean with a flux-capacitor I’d would go back in time and buy a long block from 22RE Performance.  What I have learned during my rebuild project is invaluable and I’ve enjoyed the journey, but I’m still not completely satisfied with the results. It’s only got about 200 miles on it, so it still needs to be broken in and tuned.

I have never bought a remanufactured engine.

That’s just my opinion – it may be worthless.

Gnarls.

I agree with a lot of what your saying, my choice was dependent on cost and time. At the time i needed the car back on the road plus my block and head were wasted and would have spent much more rebuilding that engine then my own. Honestly i'll be happy if i can get 40-60k out of this motor, and do a proper rebuild at that time. It will be more money this way in the long run but atleast it will function correctly for the time being. Like what lewis said if you do everything to the motor correctly and replaced all of the nessicary external parts your pushing 5k which is twice what i paid for the car. Rather difficult to get the wife to swallow that pill knowing we will need another 3.5-4k for doublers and sas, however when we have a fully functional toy with doublers, sas, onboard air, lockers, wheels and tires, seats, harnessess, and other various pieces and parts i'll be at 8-9k with the price of the truck included would be easier to justify the possiblye 3.5-5k motor replacement done correctly. from the rough math i did when i swapped mine with a reman, rebuild was gunna be about 3k with out hoses, wp, radiator, and such which ended up costing me about 700 bucks more.