Author Topic: Denso vs ngk?  (Read 3178 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: Denso vs ngk?
« on: Jul 07, 2017, 02:11:22 PM »
OK I have a little valuable input for you.  I typically use the standard autolite 64 because they are cheap, available and read well.  I tried a set of denso, they were certainly nice and make you feel good but there was no performance difference.  The denso plugs seemed to wear down faster.

I have used NGK in the past but it was before I paid attention to anything. I'm sure they are fine plugs.

I used to buy gimmick plugs, and iridium and platinum will last longer, but as a general rule I like to use standard copper plugs, especially if you are tuning into a hybrid.  You will want to change plugs a lot when you make big changes for a fresh read.  Plus copper plugs are cheap, always available on the shelf and I like to change plugs about twice a year on general principals because it keeps you in the know on how you are running, rich, lean, oily, coolant-ee.

Some guys go one step hotter and gap them out more which seems to work good for EFI (for example an autolite 65 gapped at .45), but I have found the standard heat plug gets the best read when you look at the strap to check heat range.

At one point when I first got into my hybrid and I hadn't messed with jets yet I had a pinging problem but I was able to cure it by running autolite 63s, which were one step colder than stock specs, gapped a bit smaller than stock.  I picked up that trick on an old Mercedes forum.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K