Author Topic: Ping...Ping...Ping  (Read 7578 times)

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
Re: Ping...Ping...Ping
« on: Apr 18, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »
According to my 85 FSM, correct ignition timing for a 22R is 0* BTDC. 5* makes a lot more sense at to me, though -- especially since it won't hardly run at 0* (though this is confounded by the unknown state of the carb)

I am beginning to get seriously worried about the internal state of my engine. I have to assume that it was subjected to continuous pinging for many thousands of miles before I got it -- I know when I did an oil change just after buying it the oil was jet black.

I cannot get the engine apart to visually inspect the cylinders & pistons. I know it gets decent mileage (18 mpg on a mix of city/highway/dirt road) and that's about it. Oh, and it pings under conditions that don't faze a '93 22RE 2WD one bit. I'm worried if my cylinder walls are too pocked, this engine's life may be quite short. What do all you engine gurus think? Compression check time?

*WHINY MODE ON*
This pickup has been nothing but nasty (and expensive) surprises since I bought it. I inspected it (of course) before handing over the cash, but I missed a few little details that have just got bigger and bigger and bigger. Such as: the HAC output ports broken off and the hoses hanging loose, making all kinds of vacuum leaks. Trying to bleed the brakes, I found someone had jammed a grease zerk into the right rear brake cylinder instead of the fitting that should be there. Needless to say, it twisted off. The radiator has been broken loose on one side from the bracket, I assume by maltreatment. (It sure didn't do it by itself...). The oil pressure light switch was replaced with a sheet metal screw, and the wire left just hanging loose. The horn contact was filed down, who knows why. A broken washer pump (Again, this didn't happen by itself). Broken cowling around the steering column. Front wheel bearings loose (with notable play when jacked up & the tire off)

I don't mind fixing things per se, but I very much mind having to spend megabucks (well, maybe only one kilobuck) fixing other people's mistakes. Simple, avoidable mistakes like setting the ignition timing to 17*btdc and ignoring the resulting racket of pinging, or wrenching a grease zerk into a hole where it was never meant to go

And, of course, my own mistake of not realizing how much pinging I was hearing when I bought it. I only began to get wise after I set the timing better and got a surprise. "Wow!" I thought. "I didn't know an '85 Toyota engine could be so quiet!" (conversation without shouting is now easy in the cab)

*WHINY MODE OFF*

Live 'n' Learn!

*Resigned mode on*

Lewis