Author Topic: Code 52  (Read 8673 times)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: Code 52
« on: Feb 28, 2017, 02:49:24 PM »
Again, where is this one end being grounded. ECM to sensor, where is the wire grounded? Like splice to a ground?

Regarding the ground, I know the sensor grounds to the block, which is why I am confused on grounding the wire a second time? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the other gentleman.

With the Supra rewire, you wire the core wire to th ecm and the KS connector, then attach a wire to the shielding portion of the wire on one end.  If using the ecm end you ground it to the body, if on the Knock sensor end, you ground it to the engine or firewall/inner fender.

The purpose of grounding the shielding section is to protect the inner wire from being effected by outside signals that can effect the strength of the KS signal being sent to the ecm.     

Real quick, do you happen to know why the existing toyota KS wont work with your setup? If I added a resistor to the system now wouldnt that provide similar if not the same results? Just wondering.

If I recall correctly, above 2k rpm's, the ecm monitors the electrical signal created by the KS, it uses that signal to adjust timing to prevent pre-ignition, if it doesn't receive a signal or one outside the programmed acceptable range, it retards the timing to protect the engine.  The wire used and the strength of the signal generated by the KS have to be within the ecm's acceptable range, if not, it wont work correctly.  The 3.0 system is designed using a short wiring harness to connect KS with the main wiring harness, whereas the 22re doesn't.  If the 3.0 KS creates a stronger signal to compensate for the short wiring harness, the stronger signal could be causing the 22re'ss ecm to think the engine is suffering pre-ignition beyond its ability to adjust the timing, a resistor like what Willard used, may reduce the signal strength enough to work with the 22re ecm, if not, you could then try the GM KS.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod