We currently are not offering Customer Support on our Forum.
Please use our Store website for: Customer Contact.

Author Topic: Feedback requested on a partial forum index redesign  (Read 20613 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
crazy looking on my phone.

Would you mind posting a screenshot from your phone?

Thank you
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

DRTYLUVN

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
this a good idea

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 569
  • Male Posts: 1,554
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
this a good idea

No problem, but i am traveling, Anyway you could allow 1mb uploads? 140kb isn't enough to upload much.
If you see it, its for sale.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
I think breaking it down that much would make it harder for users to catch all the tech and experiences available.  If you think about it, many of the specific models share the same parts, problems, typical build styles.
How about if we keep the original format, and then list the images as child boards?

This would allow people to continue posting to the main "Hilux Pickup/4Runner 1979-95" section as they'd like, or post to a specific section.

I know this was discussed on page one. The difference here is that we'd have images which perhaps doesn't clutter the list of child-boards as much.

Something like this. I did this through enduser code manipulation only, basically only in a sandbox mode on my end. We can do anything we'd like of course such as moving the images up into the "Child Boards" section so that there are not two boxes up top. Could help with out of control Stickies as they could be moved to their respective childboard, if possible.

We could add the 1st and 2nd gen 4Runners to this section also since they share the same base platform (more on this below).

For instance, I see no reason whatsoever in separating 1st gen 4runners out from 2nd gen pickups.  Literally everything is the same except the rear harness, a back seat and the tailgate.
Yes, I understand your point, but what if I'm a 4Runner owner and I'm looking for posts specific only to my own model? A specific board would neatly group info for me. At any rate, my suggestion above would keep the current structure and add specifics as childboards so that people could use them ONLY if they'd like to.-
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2020, 10:11:03 AM by BigMike »

liveoak

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2019, 06:22:24 AM by liveoak »

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
It's a cool idea. I really like the way it was however. Any change seems it will make it harder for say a 2nd gen pick up builder to get an idea on an axle swap or something that was just covered the day before in a 1st or 3rd gen thread. I personally say let her eat the way she was.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I still don't like it but I don't run the forum.  You are going to have to make the command decision Mike.  This thing is your baby!

"Evil will always win because good is dumb!"  ;)
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
How about if we keep the original format, and then list the images as child boards?

This would allow people to continue posting to the main "Hilux Pickup/4Runner 1979-95" section as they'd like, or post to a specific section.

I know this was discussed on page one. The difference here is that we'd have images which perhaps doesn't clutter the list of child-boards as much.

Something like this. I did this through enduser code manipulation only, basically only in a sandbox mode on my end. We can do anything we'd like of course such as moving the images up into the "Child Boards" section so that there are not two boxes up top. Could help with out of control Stickies as they could be moved to their respective childboard, if possible.

We could add the 1st and 2nd gen 4Runners to this section also since they share the same base platform (more on this below).

Yes, I understand your point, but what if I'm a 4Runner owner and I'm looking for posts specific only to my own model? A specific board would neatly group info for me. At any rate, my suggestion above would keep the current structure and add specifics as childboards so that people could use them ONLY if they'd like to.-

OK I got it... Let me grab  beer. 

First off, I think you just like the pictures, which is probably valid.  I am OK with whatever you decide in the end. The great bunch of guys on here are what makes this community what it is, including yourself.  A change in the way it's laid out will not change this.

However,

If you were the 4Runner owner looking for post specific only to your own model you would be doing the wrong thing, because you would be missing out on a HUGE bunch of tech that does in fact pertain to your 4Runner.  If you are new to the scene, you might not know this unless you sifted through a bunch of pickup threads and realized how much of the information crosses over.  In this way you would be better off not narrowing it down so much to your own model. This is why "good is dumb".

If you are looking for something really specific to your 4Runner, say the rear wiper motor relay, you would probably just search for that and bump into a thread with details in the text or title like that. 

If you are looking for how to weld the marlin ball gussets on your newly obtained solid axle without warping it, or how to get your inner axle off the birf, or how to set the valve lash on your 22r, you had better not be searching in a 4Runner specific board, because there are a million good examples everywhere else, but you would never see all those threads because you were only searching under the picture of your specific 4Runner.  That is why "Evil always wins..."

Did I mention also that I like bacon?

No new taxes.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 388
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
My only issue is with the pictures you used for 80 Series & 100 Series Land Cruisers.  I wanted mine on there, and the Slee Blueberry doesn't look at all like my sister-in-law's.

Just messing with you Mike!  Keep working at it, which you'll probably have to do as long as you're in charge.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Odd for it to be stuck in the middle of the index, bottom or top would look better but I do like the idea Mike. Also ask your dad if he remembers Paul Acosta from the 4Runner Jamboree's....  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100378.0
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Can you put a light black box around each model? like your drawing, how there were boxes separating the models...

Since your build thread always has the same URL, why can't it be listed in both sections?
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Ok guys I'll be finishing this up tomorrow. I honestly was expecting strong positive feedback for individual model-specific boards but as this forum is community driven and I've seeked the community's opinion, tomorrow I will revert it all back to how it was before :thumbs:

Also I've already begun work on better attachment options & capability.

:goodnight:

Regards,
BigMike

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
We could save everyone some time by searching here: http://goo.gl/jTA7A3
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Ok. It's all gone. That was a ton of work but would rather have a user friendly experience in the end so thank you for everyone's feedback.

Regards,
BigMike

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 569
  • Male Posts: 1,554
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
Ok. It's all gone. That was a ton of work but would rather have a user friendly experience in the end so thank you for everyone's feedback.

Regards,
BigMike

What matters is your drive to keep improving! That is what makes this an awesome forum. Now I just have to buy another toyota and I'lle have something to post about.

If you see it, its for sale.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I don't know why you would take my opinion under consideration at all.  Think about it, I have no real electricity at home and I switched back to a carb! :)

Thanks for all you do here Mike!
– Steve McQueen

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Ok guys I'll be finishing this up tomorrow. I honestly was expecting strong positive feedback for individual model-specific boards but as this forum is community driven and I've seeked the community's opinion, tomorrow I will revert it all back to how it was before :thumbs:

Also I've already begun work on better attachment options & capability.

:goodnight:

Regards,
BigMike

:bat: ok, who hurt Mikes feelings ??    I was just getting caught up on all this (sorry Mike Ive been slackin) but I was liking the idea of dividing up the sections a little more so you could find specific stuff better.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
If you want people to be able to find stuff better, you could embed a custom google search at the top of the site instead of using this default forum's algorythm. Google has much better results. The one I posted ( http://goo.gl/jTA7A3 ) Returns more results than just board.marlin.com, however if you created your own, you could have it specifically search this forum.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
If you want people to be able to find stuff better, you could embed a custom google search at the top of the site instead of using this default forum's algorythm. Google has much better results. The one I posted ( http://goo.gl/jTA7A3 ) Returns more results than just board.marlin.com, however if you created your own, you could have it specifically search this forum.

I am not a fan of a third party search engine. A better option in my opinion would be to bring back the Sphinx Search Engine (see http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56494) which retains faceted search capability.

Regards,
BigMike

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
The reason I suggest Google's custom search engine, is because it can be added to a website, as well as the results..

I searched both ways for: "front axle rebuild"

Here's this forum's results:

Here's the results from searching this custom search engine:

Google's search returned far more results that are within the same realm of what one would be searching for, while the forum's results returned a write-up containing the word "Front" the most, then "axle" etc...

I looked on that forum post, and it's possibly better, but without testing it against other possible search engines, I can't really weigh my opinion on it...

Either way, sorry for the tangent, IMHO the tiled format was much easier on the eyes to find the genre/subject board that I wanted..

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Both your results are the same:

Oops!
Your image was linked incorrectly,please visit your account for the correct link

:smack:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Both your results are the same:

Oops!
Your image was linked incorrectly,please visit your account for the correct link

:smack: