Author Topic: Seriously, Why No Spring Under SAS?  (Read 18909 times)

RynothealbinO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
Seriously, Why No Spring Under SAS?
« on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:52:45 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has any good reasons as to why nobody does a spring under SAS on Toyotas?  Every thread I have come across quickly dismisses the subject and tells the person to get lost.  But for every spring under thread, there are about 50 threads of people asking how to get their front to sit lower after doing a SAS and high steer.  Don't get me wrong, I know that a traditional SAS and high steer is a very proven and capable system, but it does have it's shortcomings.  These include spring / steering / frame clearance problems, and a pretty severe trade-off between ride height and up-travel.  From what I have seen if you want to keep it relatively low you need to notch into the frame heavily (or start out with a SA / 2wd frame), and you will still only get a few inches of up travel, with at least that much lift in most cases.  So with that being said I would like to start a discussion of the merits and shortcomings of a spring under SAS.  I am not looking to start a hater fest, but I want to take a fresh look at our options for getting rid of the Plague that is IFS.

So here is my case for a spring under SAS:

First of all you would be able to keep it low.  Most spring hangers are designed to give a couple inches of lift by themselves.  Now in going spring under you obviously lose around 5" of lift (if not more) depending on spring and axle thickness.  But now combine the 5" drop with 5" lift springs and a 2" lift from the hangers and shackles, and you end up with a 2" lift.  Now that is not much lift, but for 31-33" tires it would be perfect.  Now not many people can justify a SAS on that small of tires, but it would be nice to have a the option of a solid axle on your DD / parts runner / weekend wheeler.  Now I come from the "cut to fit" school of though on fitting larger tires in most cases, so I am more than fine with minimal lift.  I ran my old '84 4Runner on 36x12.50 TSL SX's on completely stock suspension (actually I had removed the rear overloads, so it might have been down in the back a bit).  The rear fenders were pretty butchered up I have to admit, but the fronts only took a  roughly 12"x8" patch and some finesse with a hammer to make the tires fit with no problems, oh yeah and it had no fenders lol.  I am attaching a pic of the truck as it was.  It rode rough and didn't flex at all, but it could sidehill like crazy (even on the narrower '84 axles) and would go wherever you pointed it.  You literally had to try to roll the stupid thing.

My second reason for spring under is for increased up travel at the previously established low ride height.  I would go to a crossover low steer setup, possibly doing it Chevy "inverted-T" style, or just using heim joints on the stock steering arms, with grade 8 hardware and misalignment spacers on the drag link.  Obviously you would want a beefy tie rod, and would probably want a spare too.  This would keep the steering way out of the way of the springs, and probably allow for stock box mounting and use of a stock drop pitman arm, keeping bump steer to a minimum  Taking rough measurements on my '86 and the axle off of my old 4Runner, I think you could get 4+ inches of travel (steel to steel, no bumps) out of a stock height spring under SAS.  Now figure you have a 2" lift and you get 6" of up travel, which is pretty good for sitting that low.  When compressed it looks like the axle and steering would run out of room at the frame at roughly the same time, meaning that you are not wasting suspension travel because your pesky steering is in the way (or vice versa).  With spring over systems all of the components (and any gaps between them stack up to decrease travel and force an increased ride height at the same time.

Look at the component stackup this way:
Spring Over-
Frame
Steering
Springs
Axle
vs. Spring Under-
Frame
Steering and Axle (same approximate vertical location)
Springs

Pencil the thicknesses of all of these components out and leave appropriate gaps between them and you will see what I mean.

The third and final reason for spring under in my mind is simplicity.  Leaf spring work.  They are not the best, but they get the job done.  Even if they break they can usually be patched back together enough to get off of the trail.  And they are cheap.  The stock steering arms are not super beefy, but they do seem to hold up to a fair amount of abuse, plus every one throws them away, so there would be plenty of spares to go around.

That pretty much sums it up my thoughts.  I know that spring under by its nature decreases ground clearance, but that would be the only major downfall I can think of.  If you made some low profile hangars and kept the axle pad thin you could make it a lot better.  Sorry for the love novel, like I said, I would like to at least give this option an honest look for completely dismissing it.  Thanks for your thoughts.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: Seriously, Why No Spring Under SAS?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »
get lost                 jk I agree with you, its gonna be an interesting topic.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:54:11 PM »
get lost

:rofl2:  Gotta love that 1st reply, should have known it was coming.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Dirt Mover

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 186
  • Male Posts: 355
  • Member since Sep '03
  • Chrome won't get you home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2014, 06:59:08 AM »
Running flatter springs with the axle under seems simpler. The arch of a 6" won't allow anymore droop than a flat spring and it will ride stiffer. You could run 63" in the back without a block or overload and sit low and maybe a 3" front.
Not trying to to be hater, I just wouldn't build so much just to use some springs I had.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,727
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »
I like that you are thinking out of the box. I also wanted to keep my center of gravity low when I first did my SAS and x-over steering on my 87' 4runner. In the end I couldn't stand the incredibly rough ride. With the stock front springs I was using, it spent a lot of time on the bump stops. Every little bump in the road would jar my spine. But I liked the stance. Right now it is on a set of OME springs. I like that they aren't real tall but ride nice. I would like to be able to fit 35's on it and keep it as low as possible. I don't want to cut my fenders or quarter panels but don't mind cutting into the cab foot space for the front tires. I am now planning to go with links. That way I can really play with ride height without having springs in the way.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

RynothealbinO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:36:03 PM »
Toyodaaddict, that is pretty much right on the money for what I was thinking.  Looks like he is running a 6 leaf pack up there...would have to add a few to a stock rear pack to get it to sit high enough.  I'm sure I could come up with something out of my piles of extra random leaves.  Dirt Mover, I am not building around springs I have, as I don't have any for the front at the moment, besides if I went RUF with it.  I figured if anything I would just buy 5" front springs and figure on keeping it small for now If I were to do this.  Otherwise are there any non ghetto crossover / low steer setups out there that would be acceptable for street use if a person wanted to do a flatter RUF pack (spring over)?  Anybody else want to chime in?  I thought for sure I would be stirring the pot more than this.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

Dirt Mover

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:24:58 PM »
Toyodaaddict, that is pretty much right on the money for what I was thinking.  Looks like he is running a 6 leaf pack up there...would have to add a few to a stock rear pack to get it to sit high enough.  I'm sure I could come up with something out of my piles of extra random leaves.  Dirt Mover, I am not building around springs I have, as I don't have any for the front at the moment, besides if I went RUF with it.  I figured if anything I would just buy 5" front springs and figure on keeping it small for now If I were to do this.  Otherwise are there any non ghetto crossover / low steer setups out there that would be acceptable for street use if a person wanted to do a flatter RUF pack (spring over)?  Anybody else want to chime in?  I thought for sure I would be stirring the pot more than this.

My bad, the suspension section has a similar question. (I believe he has the springs)
My rig would be ridiculed by most for being too tall. 4" front AP springs, 4" MC rear. 3" BL, 6.5" shackles with lowered spring hangers. I stay tall with no bumpstops to be able to stuff the tires. The front will push my 37" Iroks into the frame at the body mount and the rear nearly hits the frame with an 86 rear end with offset wheels. The BL was put on 15 years ago before options for springs were available. After building bumpers and side protection it would suck to rebuild all 3.
Being low has advantages, being tall has advantages same as having little or lots of articulation. Build it, wheel it and lets have a beer around a campfire and talk about it.  :beerchug:

dropzone

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Feb '07
  • Drive a 1st Gen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2014, 12:12:18 AM »
^^How old are your springs? Seems like going negative arch with no bump stops you run the risk of bending a spring or shortening the life of the spring..
81 Toyota Trekker 221:1
build thread: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=86346.0

1994 4Runner - Long Term Expedition type Build

Dirt Mover

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:40:55 PM »
^^How old are your springs? Seems like going negative arch with no bump stops you run the risk of bending a spring or shortening the life of the spring..

The front are 1 yr old now with all the leafs, kinked the last AP springs that had the bottom 2 leafs removed and broke the previous set of homemade with Rancho 4440s. AP used to be $200 and it was worth the expense.
You are right, with the cost of springs now I should do something. It's on the list, traction bar is next. Still have 4 months before trails start opening again.

RynothealbinO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2014, 06:52:02 PM »
Looks like I am going to have a chance to try this out sometime after all.  Just picked up this gem of a 1984 2wd truck.  It is actually much cleaner than it looks in the pic.  I have the full drivetrain out of my old '84 4Runner waiting to go in.  Right now I am planning spring under RUF's, and spring over Chevies in the rear, although I am worried ill be lower than a stock 4wd at that point.  I have also looked at IH scout front springs...narrow, high arched, and there are quite a few in a pack so they should be pretty tunable.  Although with all that arch of the 2wd frame I could just do a traditional RUF setup with high steer and be done with it.  Hopefully I can get started on this in the next month or so as I finish up the garage I have been building.

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2014, 07:18:17 PM »
.  Although with all that arch of the 2wd frame I could just do a traditional RUF setup with high steer and be done with it. 

:D

it will sit nice and low just like that and wont have perches hanging below the housing and get mashed on rocks. and u will still have plenty uptravel unlike the ifs frames do.
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

RynothealbinO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2015, 11:59:30 AM »
I know it has been a while, but I think I am going to go for this after all.  My goal here is to keep the suspension at stock height but still have good travel up and down.  According to my stock '86 4wd the center line of the axle is about 2" below the bottom of the frame.  I have my hangers tacked on to the '84 (former 2wd) and the best I can get with a flat to slightly negative pack is axle center line about 5.5" below the frame for 3.5" of lift.  And that is with 4 leaves in the pack.  Add and inch or more with 1 or 2 more leaves in there.  I am going to run a shackle forward setup, which sits slightly higher up than most aftermarket hangers.  It also gives me the ability to have 3 adjustments on my shackle angle.  Ill have to get some pictures up later.  For now I am going to go back out and see if I can come up with a couple higher arch spring packs and mock together some hangers.

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2015, 07:05:57 PM »
Springs under?

Sounds like a stock truck to me  :king: :king: :king:
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

RCKSQRL

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 588
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Viva La Yota!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2015, 07:21:24 PM »
I'm seriously considering it.... Have Chilkat steering so soa won't work, thinking going back to springs from links. If I do this I'll do standard rear shackle. Want low cog and stability, drivability and ability to get home if something goes SNAP. Air shocks are nice but I'm always afraid if one goes pop I'm screwed... I have to drive mine to and from the trail...

Sent from magic wish granting phone
'85 EFI Runner
4.3 with 700R4- for sale
5.29 detroit F/R
Front 3 Link with air shocks
rear 4 Link
Custom Fuel cell
Crawler #719, rear with 4.70 # 677,
Twin stick
Skys manufacturing T-case crossmember

6 point cage modified with harness bar, dash bar and PRP seats mounted to cage
2 feet chopped off the back

It seems it is never done........

in works for new body and exo, motor and trans swap...

RynothealbinO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2015, 07:48:25 PM »
Didn't get any pics of it, but I got a 7 leaf pack mocked up which should put me right at stock height.  It looks like I will have about 6" of up travel and 2.5" of down travel.  I would like to see more droop out of it, but need to track down some spring with more free arch to them.  I need to build some spring plates and buy some U-bolts before I can get weight on it, hopefully I can do that tomorrow.

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2015, 07:53:27 AM »
Didn't get any pics of it, but I got a 7 leaf pack mocked up which should put me right at stock height.  It looks like I will have about 6" of up travel and 2.5" of down travel.  I would like to see more droop out of it, but need to track down some spring with more free arch to them.  I need to build some spring plates and buy some U-bolts before I can get weight on it, hopefully I can do that tomorrow.

Pics!  I'm guessing you'll get more down travel in real time with articulation forces working for you.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

RynothealbinO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:34:25 PM »
Didn't get as much done one the truck as I wanted today.  All I managed to do was track down my U-bolts.  Im hoping tomorrow I can get the slider plates built.  I did manage to get some pics though.  First off are pictures of the front shackles and hangers.  I built offset shackles based on either Jeep Commanche or Ford f150 shackles (not sure which).  This lets the inside edge of the shackle ride right against the frame, but puts the springs 29" center to center.  There is a 3/8" plate with 3 1/2-13 holes spaced 1" apart drilled in it welded to the inside of the frame rails for the shackle pivot bolt to thread in to.  The outside part of the hangers will get plated to the frame front and rear and fully welded in later. 
The next pic is an overall shot of the spring pack.  The top 2 are Toyota rear, then a couple f150 leaves cut down, then the bottom 3 leaves from the front of a 1957 ford f100.  I would like to replace the lower 3 with something higher arched, but this works for mock up. 
The spring perch sits 2.5" below axle center line, and the axle and perch come to 4.5" together.  Drooped out there are 13" between spring top and the frame.  This leaves me 8" of total travel.  With weight on it the top of the spring is 10" from the frame, so that gives me 5" up and 3" down.  Let me know what you guys think.

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 31, 2015, 07:51:14 AM »
I think it will work. I also think you will be tuning it a bit.  Should handle well for sure.  Really excited to see it sitting on tires though.  Hurry up!
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

RynothealbinO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 31, 2015, 08:28:41 PM »
It is on its own weight!  My hardware didn't work out as planned, but I did manage to get one side supported by a 225/75r15 spare from my other truck, and the other side spring is sitting on blocks of wood.  As it sits the axle is roughly 2" forward from stock as I had planned, and it is sitting about 1.5" over stock height.  With my body weight on the front crossmember it dropped roughly 1/2", so I figure with the weight of the drivetrain I should be at stock height.  I should have gotten a droop measurement with the weight of the axle, but I forgot / got lazy.  Anyways, on with the pics!

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 31, 2015, 09:10:58 PM »
looks good. Nice to see something a bit out of the ordinary.

What made you choose to put the shackles up front? It seems like a bad idea in my mind, mostly from waching jeeps bend springs all the time.  However, Ive heard from a few guys with a lot more knowledge than I, that it can be a good way to go. Im testing it out on my toyzuk project to see for my self.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 

RynothealbinO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 31, 2015, 09:57:08 PM »
This article pretty well sums up why I went with front shackles: http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/shackle-reason.php .  Some of it does not directly apply, but I'm hoping this will help the front end stay down when climbing and control brake dive.  Not needing a long travel driveshaft will be nice too.  There has also been some good discussion over on Pirate on the subject recently: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/2000274-drop-hanger-vs-shackles-up-front.html .  I also like the fact that this way I can adjust the shackle angle to tune it a little bit.  I would like to put a small plow on it for winter eventually, so adjusting the shackles will let me compensate for the extra weight pretty easily.  At one point I was hoping I could french in the rear hangers, but I don't think my springs will be tall enough if I do that at this point.  When I was still considering spring over, I was looking at ways to put the springs flush with the bottom of the frame in the front, but that would have involved pinching the frame rails and making some crazy spring hangers, so this was my compromise.  The shackles hang no further down than most drop hangers, and I will probably make a skid plate to go in front of them that will tie into the bumper.

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 31, 2015, 11:18:38 PM »
That was an educational read, definitely backs up what Ive heard. :beerchug:  Your shackle setup does look good and pretty low profile, I like it.

RynothealbinO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 05, 2015, 08:42:17 PM »
Almost got it sitting on its own weight with proper hardware on it, but then I realized that I left a U-bolt at work.  I need to track down a set of rollers for it and get started on Chevy spring swap on the rear.  I did pick up about an inch and a half of droop, so Ill be pushing 10" of travel (without bumps).

Chuck78

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2024, 07:29:42 PM »
Old topic but I just navigated here several years later...  What became of this spring under venture?
I regret now not picking up a rust free 2wd frame for $500 and instead planning to just patch up the rusted out rear half of my IFS frame... Nice score on the 2wd pickup.  I've got the same bed (sadly minus the hooks), '84 2wd Japanese built bed), for my '88 IFS pickup. 

I was looking at my '84 Toyota axle'd Samurai that's spring over with full high steer kit, and thinking "wow, there really isn't much room to lower this 7.5" lift (over stock SPUA), and a lower center of gravity sure would be nice!" The high steer parts will hit the frame with minimal up-travel if I were to lower it much more unfortunately...
The bigger issue is VW TDI swapping the Toyota axle'd Samurai or the '88, as the more common newer TDI engines will have the oil pan sitting on the high steer SPOA tie rod if you don't go to extremes to shuffle things around.  With the wheelwell position of the Toyotas, it's too much to shove the axle pretty far forward / engine back into firewall without completely moving the wheel arch or butchering up the fenders...

This is when I had the same realization that started this thread.  If I had Front Range Off Road's flat keyed billet steering arms instead of typical high steer arms with 1.5" or so of rise in them, and I had taller arched springs in a spring under configuration, I'd have all kinds of room.  Flat crossover steering arms with spring over axle would put the tie rod and drag link in the same real estate that the springs are in, so that won't work at all, and otherwise that'd be the only way to gain more uptravel clearance. 
Now on the Samurai especially, I'm thinking I'll get a Toyota IFS solid axle swap front spring hanger, extend the front of the Samurai frame a few inches and weld this front leaf hanger across the frame, and do some sort of frenched shackles in the back of the front leafs, or else even some leaf spring slider boxes like what Liquid Iron Industries sells, in case the frame width being narrower than the axle leaf perch width causes too many headaches trying to figure out how to pierce the shackle through the frame when they're not directly on top of one another, the leaf vs frame (leaf outboarded halfway and only under the outer edge of the Samurai frame rail). 
To make this sweeter, a Trail Gear Rock Assault front housing has the axle tubes offset up so the axle shafts are off centered and riding near the bottom of the housing, AND instead of most people's mod of adding IFS hubs to the 81-85 solid front axles to widen them to IFS (and increasing the scrub radius etc), the Trail Gear Rock Assault front housings add 3" to the passenger side, so you can run the 81-85 style hubs and have proper scrub radius, but still have the IFS width stance.  They include the passenger side longer than stock axle shaft with the housing, FYI.
The other HUGE perk to that Rock Assault housing, is that by offsetting the axle housing tubes up to gain more ground clearance, it also allows us more lift if doing an unconventional Spring Under Axle, as the leaf will mount higher up off the ground with the bottom of the tubes up higher off the ground... AND... additionally, if the leaf perch is no longer sitting at the edge of the differential housing where the perch has to be lower with more stacked drop height off the axle tube, since the passenger axle tube is 3" longer and the leaf mounts on the tube clear of the diff 3rd member housing, you get the leaf mounted higher again....  I was going to do '88 Toyota Old Man Emu 2" lifted rears up front and '89 Toyota Old Man Emu 2" lifted rears out back with a long wheelbase OEM Samurai body panel assembly for about 25" longer cargo bed in the Samurai, + frame stretch...  I can do sheetmetal work to make the wheel arches larger diameter and higher up, and move the LWB rear wheel arch a few inches back as well, and that'll allow 33" 255/85R16 Interco TrXus M/T Radials to stuff nicely under flex with 16x7 wheels...

Chuck78

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2024, 07:31:23 PM »
If I SaS the '88 Toyota, it'll probably get the exact same treatment... although oddly I might keep it spring OVER axle in the rear and Spring Under up front...

Those flat keyed billet Front Range Off Road Fab steering arms are pretty critical. I also was going to have the tie rod ends drilled from underneath to move it down more.

Ruff Stuff Specialties makes some real nice high clearance low profile spring under axle perch kits as well, which would make this setup even more idea...  I'll perhaps attempt this on the stock '84 front housing under the Samurai now, but ultimately the Rock Assault front housing will be the most ideal to get more lift out of SPUA without going too crazy on the high arched springs.  The '88 Toyota though I really might need Skyjacker Softride 4" lifted '88 rear leafs  up front to keep the pickup just a bit over stock height where I'd like it.  Most of the hanger kits will add another inch or more of height with where the spring mounts up front and having 5" long front shackles frenched into the frame...

Lower is better in so many ways, and with the Rock Assault housings and Ruff Stuff high clearance low profile SPUA perches, I think this can work out really nicely... Those Front Range flat steering arms are pretty critical to make this work as well. 

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/1380145-sprung-under-runner.html BAAAAAAAAAAAM!

That's really helpful, awesome rig!  Shackles in front like a stock Samurai or a Jeep... I was trying to get away from that but shackle reversal on a Samurai is difficult, but Liquid Iron Industries slider boxes instead of shackles might be the easy way out though!
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2024, 07:46:59 PM by Chuck78 »

a1gemmel

• Online Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 149
  • Member since Jun '21
  • Amateur shitbox whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 27, 2024, 10:16:37 PM »
I'll chime in here - my truck is currently SUA. You can find details in my build thread. It's not good. If you go SUA, you must swap to shackles in the front like the OP did. Simply put, with shackles in the rear the front half of the spring is too short and at too steep of a downwards angle. This creates a lot of brake dive, like it sits on the bump stops when I touch the pedal. I've patched this up by adding air shocks that are really providing most of the front spring rate at this point, but ultimately I'm going to be three-linking the front end when I have the time.
1981 Pickup - 37s, 5.29s, L52, dual cases 4.7 rear, e-locker front, grizzly rear, 22R stroker
1986 4Runner - 35s, 4.30s, auto, rear spool, 4" lift