Author Topic: 85 Beastie Build - 2nd gen runner time!  (Read 25196 times)

golana

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 112
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
85 Beastie Build - 2nd gen runner time!
« on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:17:18 AM »
Well, i posted a bit in the 'anything you have fabbed' thread, and was told i should make a build thread, so here we are :)

i got her as a pretty much bone stock, non-running, 85 pickup with a 3" lift and some random 31" tires

a buddy of mine brought his trailer to pick her up for me! he was good enough to only charge me for the fuel he used. i bought him a pack of his fav cigars as a bonus haha

as soon as i got her home, i started tearing into her!

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2011, 07:39:02 AM by golana »
-Steve

1994 4Runner - BUILD THREAD
5VZ-FE - 12" Lift - High Steer - Hydraulic Assist - IFS Mod - Scuba Mod - Ford Fuel Tank - E-Fan - Doubler = 96.31:1 Crawl Ratio

Brake setup
FRONT: 98 Tacoma Rotors/Brake Master Cylinder/Booster, 94 V6 Pickup Calipers, 86 IFS Hubs
REAR: 85 Solid axle Rotors/Calipers/Lug Studs, 1/4" Wheel Spacer

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
Re: 85 Beastie Build
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:17:43 AM »
the guy i bought it from couldnt get it to start, and i found out why after i yanked the motor out... anyways, my brother and i ripped up to the local pick n pull and grabbed a replacement motor for me out of a rolled over 87 4runner!

redneck lowering kit haha!

redneck engine crane haha!

can anyone see what is on the head mounting surface? haha!

stabbed the new motor into the engine bay (bro took a picture of me when i had my eyes half closed, so i look baked haha)

had to buy a new rad for the truck too... cant remember if we hit the rad with the old engine, or if it was already hit... but i grabbed a v6 rad, cause my motto is go big or go home haha!

after replacing a bad rear axle seal...

i picked up a set of 35's on 10" & 12" wide rims from a buddy for 100$

lovin the new stance!

checked the fluid in the front diff (the felts were leaking pretty bad, and after some research, i figured out that the inner seals like to go from time to time
-Steve

5VZ-FE - 12" Lift - High Steer - Hydraulic Assist - IFS Mod - Scuba Mod - Ford Fuel Tank - E-Fan - Doubler = 96.31:1 Crawl Ratio

Brake setup
FRONT: 98 Tacoma Rotors/Brake Master Cylinder/Booster, 94 V6 Pickup Calipers, 86 IFS Hubs

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:18:12 AM »

got the fluid all changed, and tried flexing her out... she didnt like it much haha! she rubbed pretty bad with the big ol 35's

i started working on my onboard air system, cause i knew i would need it some time

i found some brackets on a truck at pick n pull, and then welded them to a plate for the A/C compressor

i used a Sanden 508 compressor

mounted no problem!

i mounted a ford tranny cooler on the intake side of the air compressor as an 'intercooler' to cool the air before it goes into the compressor. it helps keep the compressor temps down a bit

right after the cooler, i installed an inline oiler

i installed my 8gal tank where the spare tire goes, but i moved it shortly after, cause it would get in the way and get smashed on rocks and stuff

modified my 92 s10 triple gauge piller thing to fit into my truck and installed my pressure gauge so i could keep an eye on tank pressure

installed some 220w lighting on her

took her for her first mud bog with the boys! kicked some serious butt
-Steve

Brake setup

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:18:37 AM »
then i moved back to BC and really started to tear her down for a complete rebuild!

i got my Grandpa's old winch. the classic Warn style!

then i built my first custom bumper for the winch. it was ok, but it didnt protect the markers or anything when we went bushwhacking (never again will i anyways! i hate how much it just beats the truck)

i built a custom in-cab winch control panel

mounted it to the gauge bezel thingy

i like the industrial look

after smashing pretty much all the good markers we had, i decided i needed a real bumper...

started off with a simple design, and then added to it

-Steve

Brake setup

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:19:02 AM »

cut out some strips to make letters with

welded them to my bumper (and any other bumper i build). stands for After Hours Fabrication

i then started to rebuild the front diff, which took a while, cause i also lifted the front, but needed high steer and everything else too...

rears up front (went back to a custom arched set of stock fronts plus a few extra leafs... gunna go back to RUF once i get my drop front hanger built

built a square tube front driveshaft! this is easily the toughest driveshaft i have ever seen! the thing is pretty much indestructable haha!

i just love the clean look of this picture...

got the front buttoned up and turned her around to start work on the rear
-Steve

Brake setup

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:19:24 AM »

did a u-bolt flip, and love it! no more snagging on stumps haha! (dont ask :P)

mmmm new parts!

lincoln locked haha! too cheap for a real locker as of right now. im hoping to score a set of ARB's once i can afford it

built a whole set of lift shackles for my truck!

tested the flex on her! she's pretty stiff in the rear, but the front flexes so good! (im 6'2")

here's the front lift shackles. i used 2 pieces of C channel and my 40ton press to bend these

it was painfully clear that push-pull steering was not going to work...

mmmmm high steer

-Steve

Brake setup

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:19:42 AM »

i started working on the bumper again. cut holes for signal lights with my torch. i sunk the lights in when i built the mounting brackets for them. that way, they are more protected against smashing

painted it

toyed with the idea of a bed rack for stuff...

started harvesting the 86 parts truck for the IFS mod. grabbed the hubs off her

had to throw the hubs on my lathe to turn down the little ear things...

i had to take down a bit more than this, but you get the idea

now the 98 tacoma rotors fit overtop of the hubs!

1/2" tap
-Steve

Brake setup

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:20:34 AM »

tapped the 94 V6 calipers (i think these ones are 86 calipers though... notice the 2 sizes of pistons... the smaller ones are closest to the camera, the larger pistons are under the brake line fitting)

the calipers now mount on the outside of the ears, instead of the inside, but its no less strong... now all i have to do to change rotors is remove the wheel, and unbolt the caliper!

for disc brakes on the rear, i read up on what needed to be done. you need the solid axle lug studs, rotors, and calipers

i pounded out the old studs off the axle shaft and had to grind down a hair off the axle on the inside where the rotor has to sit...

once the rotor sat flush, i just installed the longer solid axle studs and bob's your uncle!

pretty good stuff! i had to make a set of wheel spacers (only 1/4" though) so i could bolt the wheel on... the shoulder of the longer studs is a hair too far out...

i saw what i needed to do, so i drew up some things on some 1/4" steel (i think it was 1/4"... either that or 5/16")

ohhh yea!

i cleaned the pieces up a bit, then marker where i needed to, and drilled holes

i didnt like how much space was left...

tapped the 85 solid axle calipers to 1/2" thread
-Steve

Brake setup

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:21:04 AM »

i ended up cutting out another set, slightly smaller, and welding them to the plates. super beef!

love it!

no more gaps, and no chance of ever bending it haha

with the full disc setup, braking was super hard until i installed a new brake booster haha! i used the booster from a 98 tacoma. also used the brake master cylinder

gusseted the crap out of the IFS rear diff. i have IFS hubs and an IFS rear diff on my truck now. the IFS rear diff is 3" wider than the solid axle rear diff. the IFS mod also gives you +3" width up front!

traded my last chevy s10 for a transmission with doublers!

i had to build a custom crossmember for it because the stock crossmember wouldnt let me run a front driveshaft haha! not with the lift i had...

-Steve

Brake setup

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:21:38 AM »

i threw a lincoln locker in the front diff, then realized i couldnt turn on pavement or anything except loose gravel haha! so i had to install a hydraulic ram assist! raided the old house we have, and found a couple! they were the perfect bore and stroke and everything! all i needed to do was buy hoses!

i also had to get shock hoops because with the new shocks, and stock mounts, i was bottoming out hard on the shocks... felt horrible the first time i drove her and kept smacking on the shocks..

then i painted the truck, because i didnt want DOT seeing a 5 color lifted truck, and thinking it was a hazard or anything...

then one icy night, i crashed my truck... i didnt do any damage to it, i just spun around and slammed into the ditch, doing about 80 or so... gave myself minor whiplash and a couple bruised ribs... nothing major. i removed the front locker, as i had a super strong feeling that it had caused it...

so, with no front locker anymore, i got myself stuck... i got mad, and started revving the truck up in reverse and stuff, trying to get out. well, i finally got out, but the poor little 22re had seen 7000rpm... she refused to start again after this, so i tore her down...

-Steve

Brake setup

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:25:03 AM »

i decided that it was time to upgrade... go big or go home... so i picked out a 5VZ-FE from work. 500 with a harness and computer. only 170,000 on the engine!

friggin mint!

first thing i decided, before i even thought about putting the motor in my truck, was that i was going to run true dual exhaust!

chopped my old 22re motor mounts off, and cleaned up the frame

had to pull the tires off the truck, and use the tractor to lift the motor in

it took all the tractor had to lift the truck back up so i could put the wheels back on haha!

when doing the swap, i used what i had laying around, and didnt really have to buy anything extra... i grabbed my brother's old v6 tranny/t-case (he blew up his 3.slow on the trail and swapped out to a 22r)

i used the 3.0 bellhousing, and everything else. starter required 1 mod. all i did was drill one of the threaded holes out so that i could thread the bolt into that side, and into the bellhousing.

-Steve

Brake setup

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:25:20 AM »

heater hoses were super easy too, removed the stupid shut-off valve

fuel line was easy too

cut the banjo thingy off the end, and used the 5vz flare nut

bob's your uncle!

i cut down the 22re motor mounts, and they fit perfect!

i used the stock computer mounting location for my 5vz ECU... i dont understand why people say you have to extend wires... i didnt...

i had to swap out to a 3.0 oil pan, dipstick tube and oil pickup to clear the drag link. i was actually supposed to use a T100 3.4L oil pan etc. cause the sump is at the back, instead of the middle... oh well... she works for now. maybe ill mod the 3.4 oil pan and stuff...

wiring took me 12 hours from start to running. i did this pretty much straight too...

-Steve

Brake setup

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:25:41 AM »

built a cowl hood to fit the motor. im not really into body lifts, unless they are to compliment other mods (exhaust and a soon coming flat belly mod?)

getting the gauges working was a PITA!

i had to solder a 10k ohm resistor to get the tach to work... the oil pressure switch was easy enough, the water temp was a pain, but i accidentally wired it wrong haha! 12 hours straight and i was seeing colors that werent there haha!
*if you are doing this mod, be sure to change the oil pressure sender FIRST! if you dont, you will kill your oil pressure gauge. the tacomas use lights, not gauges and your gauge will see a full 12v and burn out if you dont change it. location if right beside the oil filter*

now that i am planning to go back to my twins, but they arent in yet, im working on designing a trans-brake off the output flange for the rear driveshaft! im using a rear disc brake off an old honda street bike!

anyways, i built my rear driveshaft... i used a chunk of exhaust pipe, with flares on either end... NEVER AGAIN!!! haha, it twisted right in half, and went sailing infront of the car i was passing haha! almost took him out... managed to coast into a pullout. luckily noone got hurt!

so, i rebuilt my driveshaft, but noticed that my output flange for the rear was loose... i didnt think anything of it, so i tightened it till it didnt wobble... bad idea! these things only get 36ftlbs of torque! i did mine up to probably 80 or so haha! and here is what happened...

overheated the transfer case, and snapped the output shaft in half...

just wrecked it!

here it is, with the output flange and slip yoke still attached haha

gashed the floor open

smacked one of my brand new mufflers...

ripped the pinion in half, shooting the rest of it right into the ring gear and wrecking everything inside... locked the rear wheels up, and had to drag the rear end home... she hopped the whole way. i couldnt go above 2km/h haha! luckily, i was 500ft from my driveway...

other half of the pinion...
-Steve

Brake setup

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:26:02 AM »

smacked the gas tank...

smacked the box too...

driveshaft. that thing is 1/4" thick... i figured out that it doesnt matter how thick the driveshaft is... what really matters is diameter...

well, i think thats it... as of right now, the truck is parked until i can fix everything. i will be ripping the box off, and ripping the fuel tank out. i picked up a early 90's ford f150 rear gas tank (the one that sits between the frame rails at the back of the box) that im going to be cutting up for her. gunna mount it behind the axle so she doesnt get smacked anymore haha! ill also be running the exhaust to the back of the truck, instead of dumping just infront of the back of the cab...

while i have the box off, im also going to be installing my 98 tacoma rear leaf springs! the flex from these things is just ridiculous! i added a leaf and flipped the overload. we'll see how they do! they have 100x more droop than my current rear springs, but i need them to compress too... so i may be removing the thick overload... again, we'll see how they do.

thanks for reading!
-Steve

Brake setup

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2011, 02:07:49 AM »
wow thats amazing, i like your work. build alot of your own stuff, do you make parts and sell them also?
96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2011, 02:11:25 AM »
wow thats amazing, i like your work. build alot of your own stuff, do you make parts and sell them also?

thanks bro :) i love hearing that!

ive built a couple front bumpers for some of the guys in my 4x4 club :) i wanna get my truck finished, and lookin good before i start selling parts, but i do plan eventually, to design/sell parts :)
-Steve

Brake setup

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2011, 02:15:48 AM »
i built a custom winch bumper for my Dad's rig. its pretty awesome! held up to a ton of winching last season haha! my Dad and I are the only rigs with winches

-Steve

Brake setup

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2011, 02:17:38 AM »
Nice!  :clap2: Truck looks like it's coming along great. I bet you have a lot less $ into this build then a lot out there and it works just as good too. Really sucks what happened with the output, but I guess you live and learn. Lots of good info in this thread  :thumbs:

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2011, 02:23:00 AM »
Nice!  :clap2: Truck looks like it's coming along great. I bet you have a lot less $ into this build then a lot out there and it works just as good too. Really sucks what happened with the output, but I guess you live and learn. Lots of good info in this thread  :thumbs:

haha, this is true :P

i picked the truck up for 400$. i checked kijiji 30 seconds before my brother and i were leaving for calgary... i phoned the guy as soon as i saw the ad, and we drove straight to the bank, then straight to his house! we beat my buddy there by 30 minutes! he saw the ad and wanted the truck too haha!

the last time i checked, i had about 2500 into the entire build. that was before the 3.4L swap though, now i have probably around 3000-3200. what i have a lot of into this truck though, is time... i havent even owned it for a year, and i already have almost 9 months of work into it haha! when i first moved back to bc, i wheeled for a month, then parked it and worked on it for almost 6...
-Steve

Brake setup

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2011, 02:28:54 AM »
haha sounds like my truck, i've owned it close to 8 months and only drove it 78 miles. i have not even wheeled it yet.
96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2011, 02:39:36 AM »
haha, this is true :P

i picked the truck up for 400$. i checked kijiji 30 seconds before my brother and i were leaving for calgary... i phoned the guy as soon as i saw the ad, and we drove straight to the bank, then straight to his house! we beat my buddy there by 30 minutes! he saw the ad and wanted the truck too haha!

the last time i checked, i had about 2500 into the entire build. that was before the 3.4L swap though, now i have probably around 3000-3200. what i have a lot of into this truck though, is time... i havent even owned it for a year, and i already have almost 9 months of work into it haha! when i first moved back to bc, i wheeled for a month, then parked it and worked on it for almost 6...

Definitely know how you feel. I saw my truck on craigslist then called, test drove later that day, went to the bank right after and bought it.  :driving: $800 isn't bad for a running driving solid axle truck in California. Beat a few people that were coming that weekend to check it out.

I really started to work on it this past summer and it really hasn't moved since. Just been waiting and upgrading when I come across deals on parts. I do wish I had more time though, right now all of it is taken up by school. I try to do as much as I can myself also.

On another note, how hard was it to mount that 8274? I have one myself that needs a rebuild, but it seems like it's just too big for a toyota. Also what welder are you using?

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2011, 02:48:32 AM »
Definitely know how you feel. I saw my truck on craigslist then called, test drove later that day, went to the bank right after and bought it.  :driving: $800 isn't bad for a running driving solid axle truck in California. Beat a few people that were coming that weekend to check it out.

thats awesome bro! the guy was disappointed when i showed up with 400... he kinda like... doublechecked about what the ad said... he was like 'the ad said 400 right?' and i was like 'yea it did!' and he was all sad... im thinkin he typo'd and meant like 1400 or 2400... cause seriously, thats what these trucks go for up here! even not running... 6" lift, 85 toyota with 35's is like almost 3000...

I really started to work on it this past summer and it really hasn't moved since. Just been waiting and upgrading when I come across deals on parts. I do wish I had more time though, right now all of it is taken up by school. I try to do as much as I can myself also.

i totally get ya. right now, i work at an autowreckers, and i really dont have a whole lot of time to work on my rig as of late... plus, the weather doesnt help... stupid snow and short evenings... i cant wait till its light out till like 9 or 10 haha!

On another note, how hard was it to mount that 8274? I have one myself that needs a rebuild, but it seems like it's just too big for a toyota. Also what welder are you using?

it was super easy. i built the bumper around that mounting plate for the winch. its a bit big, but i cant get rid of it... it was my Grandpa's winch that he used on his truck. it needs a rebuild too now, the motor is getting old and tired, and the disc thing is toast and everything... 80$ for the new clutch for it, and hopefully not too much for a motor winding... i know a guy at a shop that does motor winding.

and i own a Miller 180. i love it! ive built everything with it, and never had any issues with it. had it just over 2 years now. burned around 40-50lbs of wire with her now haha!
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2011, 02:56:55 AM by golana »
-Steve

Brake setup

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 16, 2011, 12:43:03 PM »
wow thats some carnage with the driveline mishap....   

you build the way i do. with what yea have on hand and make your own stuff.... its nice to see someone else doing it that way too.... keep up the good work
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #23 on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »

it was super easy. i built the bumper around that mounting plate for the winch. its a bit big, but i cant get rid of it... it was my Grandpa's winch that he used on his truck. it needs a rebuild too now, the motor is getting old and tired, and the disc thing is toast and everything... 80$ for the new clutch for it, and hopefully not too much for a motor winding... i know a guy at a shop that does motor winding.

and i own a Miller 180. i love it! ive built everything with it, and never had any issues with it. had it just over 2 years now. burned around 40-50lbs of wire with her now haha!

Cool thanks for the info. I actually ended up getting the winch for free :gap: so I'm not sure if I want to run it or maybe rebuild it and trade/ sell it to get a lay down style one.

I'm starting to look for welders myself which is why I asked. Seems like that one would be perfect for what I am trying to do.

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #24 on: Mar 16, 2011, 04:30:22 PM »
Cool thanks for the info. I actually ended up getting the winch for free :gap: so I'm not sure if I want to run it or maybe rebuild it and trade/ sell it to get a lay down style one.

I'm starting to look for welders myself which is why I asked. Seems like that one would be perfect for what I am trying to do.

my buddy got a lincoln 180 at the same time as i got my miller... we did a comparison and mine came out on top for everything... he was having problems with his shortly after, and had to return it already... my miller is going strong still! he payed 699 for his lincoln, i paid 1400 for my miller... just sayin' ya get what you pay for :)
-Steve

Brake setup

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #25 on: Mar 16, 2011, 04:33:53 PM »
wow thats some carnage with the driveline mishap....   

you build the way i do. with what yea have on hand and make your own stuff.... its nice to see someone else doing it that way too.... keep up the good work

thats exactly it! that is like... my way of doing things haha! i do what needs to be done with what i have... such is the way of the redneck haha! if it breaks, ill just build it better/stronger next time, but i learn. i love to fabricate! i dont like fitting into the 'cookie cutter' category :) im a DIY kinda guy! thanks for the kind words!
-Steve

Brake setup

punchyyoter85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Male Posts: 171
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 16, 2011, 07:24:24 PM »
nice truck! come help me with my 85 lol.

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #27 on: Mar 22, 2011, 08:59:06 AM »
got a little bit of work done to her

cut the old shock mounts off (this was limiting my flex big time!) and welded them to the gas tank crossmember

i notched a piece of 2" sq. tube that i cut one side off, so it would fit the crossmember perfect

welded my new spring hangers in place for the tacoma leaf springs! :) still gotta chop off the old ones...

mocked up the shock tabs on the axle (when i removed the overload leaf spring on the tacoma springs, they sunk a bit more, so i spaced the shock tabs about 1" from the spring perches)

nice and in-line

made some new u-bolt plates. my old ones were just a piece of flat stock... started to bend, so i built myself some tank ones! piece of C channel with ends welded to them to keep any flex at bay. torqued the u-bolts down, and these things didnt bend at all!

mock-up before u-bolts

battery tray i built :) the battery kept sloppin around in the engine bay... it smacked my headlight plug and broke one of the wires when i was driving home one night... pain in the butt!

i found my old dog's first blanket the other day too! so i put it in my truck. i miss him alot :(

thats all for now :)
-Steve

Brake setup

87hillbillyoter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Mar '10
  • git er duuunnn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 22, 2011, 10:25:18 AM »
good lookin build man, i like it. keep it up :thumbs:
:usa:
1987 SAS'ed toyota 4x4 pickup 22re swap
build up- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75111.0
:usa:

golana [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
  • The Crazy One
    • View Profile
    • analog OffRoad
« Reply #29 on: Mar 22, 2011, 10:59:51 PM »
well, i started building my front drop spring hanger :) its 2.5" sq. tube, 1/4" wall. im making the whole thing out of 1/4" :)

got a good start on it, hopefully done it tomorrow. this will help my pinion angle SOOOO freaking much haha! plus, ill gain some more clearance between the tie rod and the oil pan :)

pics and more tomorrow!
-Steve

Brake setup