Author Topic: Project FJ-Rankenstein.. rebuilding a drivetrain, toybox and more...  (Read 74848 times)

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
i figure there just isnt enough cruiser stuff here so i will add a little more..

First, a little background..  i had bought my first fj-40 almost 10 years ago.  About 3 years earlier i was driving around my first toyota pickup.. a 1981 toyota hilux that i restored..  what got me hooked on landcruisers was, i was working as a contractor at one of the Northern uranium mines here in Saskatchewan, Canada and was contracted to work on everything the mine had..  one day i was put on the automotive rack repairing these Toyota "jeeps" as the workers called them and wondered why i had never noticed these vehicles around before..  after changing fuel filters and oil and doing small repairs on these diesel landcruisers i was completely hooked..  i knew i had to have one..  when i got home i started doing research into what were strong and weak points with these trucks and the lookout was on..
 It happened that about a month later i ended up talking to a guy from a local car show here in Saskatoon that had a completely mint rebuilt cruiser and through conversation he had said that lots of guys talk to him about cruisers and in fact he knew where a few might be..  i gave him my number and really never expected to hear from him again..  well, about 2 weeks later i get a call from him saying that he has one and would sell it to me for 2800 dollars i believe.. i gave him a downpayment  and he held it for me till i got some money together and paid him the rest..   i was affraid to bring it home as my parents would of had a heart attack knowing how much i paid and what a piece of crap it really looked like..  the tub was toast, along with the fenders..  it also needed a ujoint in the biggest way and none of the lights worked..   i was able to keep it at work for a few months hidden from my parents till i at least got it half way respectable and then brought it home..   my mom was horrified and my dad was disappointed that i could waste my money on "such an ugly old truck"... well, i drove that ugly old truck for almost 3 years before the first round of mods happened and never really looked back sinse day one..  sinse then i have bought a fj45, a bj42 and a fj40 that eventually i sold because i had too many vehicles.

so the first round of mods kind of went like this..   i really liked the looks of a 40 series but when i discovered the 45 series i knew i had to have one.. being that 45 series cruisers were impossible to find back in the day, i wanted to make one..  i did some internet research and found aqualu  industries and bought my first 45 tub for under 1200 bucks shipped to my door..  you can tell that they became popular though because aqualu's pricing is through the roof and i find it very hard to ever justify buying anything from them now..  that same tub is now worth 2400 to my door.. yikes!!!  i will post some pics of back in the day.. in my next post..
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2012, 05:22:08 PM by fj-rankenstein »
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
Re: Project FJ-Rankenstein
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2010, 02:25:03 AM »
here it is after a year of owning it..the truck came with a hard top that was never on..  a random guy stopped to talk to me while i was filling gas and had asked if i was interested in buying an old soft top that he had lying around in his garage for a 150 bucks.. i said sure and brought it home.. it needed a back window and a zipper fixed but 100bucks later it was on and i was happy..

from this point I stretched the frame 14 inches and bought a 45 tub through aqualu and got that on.. around the same time i ended up buying an original 45 that came with 3 boxes, 4 tailgates, 2 hartops, 4 doors, an extra windshield frame and numerous other extras..   i took the worst box of the 3 and bobbed it on both ends and ended up with the following product..  around this time several other mods happened as well..  i did my first spring over, shackle reversal, saginaw power steering and bought some 35 inch rubber..  i also borrowed a set of boggers from a buddy and had a few other sets as well..  

a few years ago i bent the frame on my truck and blew the eadgasket all within the same month so i thought i had better upgrade.. i ended up getting a diesel bj60 series cruiser that i have taken the whole rolling chasis from and now have transplanted everything onto that chasis..  so my cruiser will now be  a 3b diesel, 5 speed, splitcase, rolling on 60 series axles and powersteering..

and thisis where i am today..  the new rolling chasis has been sprung over, shackle reversed, chopped, shortened and new body mounts put on and everything modified.. i have got a little ways to go and i will post stuff at a later date but it is lightening like crazy right now and i gotta shut off the computer before the power goes out..

« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2010, 09:35:30 AM by fj-rankenstein »

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2010, 06:37:28 AM »
Keep the story and pics coming. This is a great online suspense novel, maybe it'll be a movie someday..... :clap: 
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 217
  • Male Posts: 769
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Invest in precious metal
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2010, 01:14:06 AM »
This is probably my Favorite Cruizer of all time, the diesel makes it that much cooler! Is that an old pic of the donor 60 sitting in the lot, or is there still ice on the ground?!
"Project Land Cruzah" In Land Cruiser Section
71 FJ40 327/465/ 4.7 Mini T/c, Trussed, Armored Mini Axles w/ High Cross Over, Aussie Lockers & 30 spline Longs.  p/s 35's, SOA, , .  86 Burb D-60 14 bolt 350/400/205 37's.  02 F350 Tow Barge, Toyo 38's, Banks 5" Wicked wheel turbo, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Blah Blah Blah

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2010, 05:45:43 AM »
thats down right cool as hell..... both this cruiser and your extend a toy project are my favorites.... bravo!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2010, 09:40:39 PM »
thanks for the good words guys..    yes, that pic was taken in the early spring time.  snow and ice isnt coming around yet for at least another month and a half..   :ack:

i will have a bit more of an update after the weekend..  its definitelly a bit more put together today.   :greengrin:

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2010, 02:23:19 AM »
i have to thanks my buddy bill (project sarge on this forum..)  for helping me out on friday..  he helped mock up the front bib hinge bracket and a few other front end clip things..  my truck is really starting to come back to life again..  i sure cant wait to get it on the road..   i hope to have the steering put back together tomorrow..

here are a couple updated pics from today...

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2010, 02:32:47 AM by fj-rankenstein »

baxter650

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 163
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2010, 09:01:11 AM »
Lookin good.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2010, 09:18:52 AM »
:D :D Lookin Sweet DUDE
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2010, 03:34:25 PM »
Whatcha doing with the steering? Looks like you dropped some big coin on them new rollers!
71 FJ40 327/465/ 4.7 Mini T/c, Trussed, Armored Mini Axles w/ High Cross Over, Aussie Lockers & 30 spline Longs.  p/s 35's, SOA, , .  86 Burb D-60 14 bolt 350/400/205 37's.  02 F350 Tow Barge, Toyo 38's, Banks 5" Wicked wheel turbo, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Blah Blah Blah

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2010, 09:13:06 PM »
Whatcha doing with the steering? Looks like you dropped some big coin on them new rollers!

sinse everything is now on a 60 series cruiser rollling chasis i will be using what was on the truck..  the steering box is the factory 60 series steering box. i was able to position the springs in the spring over and front axle to be in a perfect position to match up to the steering box so i didnt have to move the steering box..  the tie rod and drag link are 1.25 dom with gm 1 ton tie rod ends all around and the arms are 4x4 labs.   4x4 labs is some serious stuff and is crazy beef if you havent seen those arms yet..    i am going to get the truck running first before the next big rounds uf upgrades just to keep it simple for now..   with the extend-a-toy project i have been trying to buy and re-buy the best of everything and do every single cool mod that i have ever wanted to do in a truck and its very expensive, takes too much time and has been bogging me down too much..
 As far as the rest of the steering system on the cruiser its getting a 60 series steering column as well..  i had it on there mocked up once but it didnt quite feel right.. i now have modded more from both the column and the dash to make it work better.. i just dont have a lot of time at the moment..  i will take some good pics of the column mods here in the next short while..  using the 60 series column also makes things easier because the column shaft is a direct bolt on to the steering box so i dont have to weld any steering components..  i am confident in my welding but its just one more thing that i dont like to think about.. i have never been a fan of welded steering components..

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2010, 09:25:13 PM »
Very cool!  :thumbs:  What color code blue is that?  I'd like to see a picture of the diesel when you get the time.

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2010, 12:21:39 PM »
the landcruiser blue colour code is toyota sky blue code 854..
http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/colorcodes.html

well i got myself some 1.5 inch wheel spacers now and put them on.. the truck is gonna look good this wide..  i will put some wider flare material on for the mean time but eventually when i get the tube bender going i will cover over the tire excess with tube protection..

it was a great day in the garage.. 
  i got back to rank for a few hours this evening.   i managed to get the rockers mostly trimmed up, the radiator mounted and the upper and lower rad hoses hooked up.. there are a few hoses that i am assuming go to a rear heater. (from when this engine was in the 60 sereis cruiser..) i am not too sure which hoses are for the main cab heater quite yet..

i also got my starter problems figured..  i had issues with trying to get the truck to start and though the starter was screwed so i pulled it apart and sure enough there were a lot of worn parts but nothing out of the ordinary.. so i put it back together and it was the same issue.. not enough grunt to turn over the engine..  i tried my spare starter and low and behold it was the same issue..  i tore this starter apart and it was in very new condition..       the battery i had was fresh off the charger and the booster cables were brand new so it had to be the starter, right?? 
 well, i had my multimeter home this weekend so i checked resistance in the new booster cables..  the positive side was good from the tip of one clamp to the tip of the other but when i checked the negative side my mulimeter read  super high resistance...  damn brand new booster cables are junk..   so i took some old battery cable and made a makeshift set of booster cables and when i hooked it up to the starter the engine whirled over super good..  yayyyyyyyyyyy!!

anyways, lesson re-learned..  dont rely on something new because it may not work or be working right....

anyways, here are my lovely pics..

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2010, 12:33:30 PM »
i left myself 3 inches or so between the rad and the bib so that should be enough to get an intercooler and piping in there..   i will be hopefully purchasing a new garrett turbo setup from a guy on ih8mud that is putting them together so that will be exciting..  i am hoping for around 10-14 pounds of boost out of this thing..

this is going to be an expensive month for me though..  i am getting my gas meter moved off my house and put on the garage within the next few weeks here..  from there i am getting a gas line put into the garage and putting in a gas heater for the winter..  on the house side i am getting it teed off there so i can have a gas bbq hooked up along with moving the line that goes into the house so i can build a deck there next year..  i am quite excited!!   i finally get to have a warm garage to build in for the winter..   
 i am trying to get this landcruiser put together and running before winter hits so i can then work on project extend-a-toy this winter and get it done for spring..

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2010, 11:05:58 PM »
you have like my 2 favorite older toyota projects... BRAVO! its lookin good man!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Sep 02, 2010, 11:22:36 PM »
Yeah Man Rank is looking good! Its gonna be wild running a turbo in that thing! Oh and congrats on the garage heater, I cant imagine working out there when its below zero :chillpill:  When you coming to Cali, I need you to redo my welds!

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 03, 2010, 01:30:47 AM »
thanks for the kind words guys..     yeah, the garage heater has been a long time coming...   last year i tried an experiment to see how much it would cost to run two small construction heaters all winter to keep the garage warm..   the electrical bill took a crazy hit and i will never do that again..  it was actually a pretty mild winter last year but still for what i paid in electricity, i almost could have bought the forced air heater that i am looking at purchasing this year...   :disturbed:   oh well, lesson learned..   i got the first quote for the gas line to be moved off the house to my alley and that only ended up being 367 dollars taxes in..     tomorrow is the expensive one though..  i am expecting a bill for around 1000-1600 dollars to go now from the meter to the garage to the house.. 

i am now hoping for the turbo to come in the next few months if funds allow..  when i owned my JDM BJ-74 it had a 13bt engine in it and it hauled butt when it was stock and running a modest 6 pounds of boost.. project rankenstein should run circles around it..  i might have an update or two by the end of the weekend.. its a long weekend this weekend so i get monday off as well as i have every friday off so i hope to have time to do something!!!

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2010, 09:28:29 PM »
I like the diesel, going to be real cool with the turbo. The 1969 fj40 I'm working on now, I think was painted sky blue. Used to be a lighter color, but I can't find the code on the rig. How much do you think a 3b diesel engine weights?

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2010, 11:08:31 PM »
the 3b diesel weighs in and around that 700 pound mark with all accessories on engine i believe..

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2010, 06:39:05 PM »
Hey man what's the latest on your rig? Any updates? We need our Rankenstine fix
Bro!

julianhierro89

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '10
  • RZJ 90, 5.29, Rear ARB locker, TSL 34 9.00
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2010, 11:52:10 AM »
great looking fj40, lookingforward for updates

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2010, 01:27:34 PM »
just a little bit of an update..

so i have had a little bit of time this week to tackle the thing that has been keeping me from working on this truck..     i have really wanted tilt steering in Rankenstein for a long long time so i thought this was going to be an easy mod and jumped right into it..  it didnt end up that way and i needed a little while to think about things..    i came up with this over the last week..   it was a pain in the ass but now that i have most everything worked out, i wont hesitate doing this again..
 and while i was in there i got the upper and lower rad hoses in place, the heater lines in place and all of the crap that was on the engine taken off so its a clean slate to work with..

the shop is getting cleaner and cleaner.. i havent had this much room to work in my garage in a long time...  here is an action shot of my truck just sitting there..   :lol:

here is the old master cylinder waiting for an upgrade..

and here is the new one on..  actually its a used one for mock up..  i roughly hooked up all the lines but will redo everything when the time comes..    also, notice that the steering shaft is poking throught he fire wall..  the "pocket" that gets bolted to the fire wall had to get the inside enlarged so the end of the steering column could get through..   the final hole ended up being cut around all 4 welded nuts in the pocket and resembled a cross..  this was so not only could i get the end of the steering column shaft through the hole but the u-joint from the column..  everything just squeeks through..

here is a little closer pic..

this is the template that i made using the base from the original steering column..   this will be the plate that gets welded to the end of the 60 series column..

this is the plate being built..  the 4 holes i think were drilled to 3/8's and the center hole was 2 inches..

this is the final product built.. i had to cut it in half so i could get it around the steering column end..  from here i put the 60 series column to where it looked like it would work and installed the two halves around the column shaft in the firewall pocket..

i will have to get a pic of what the steering column looked like before..   where the springs for the tilt column mechanism hook up, the whole area had a lot of excess metal that flared out making it tough to put into the stock colomn location in the firewall..  a lot of trimming was done to make this work and then that cross brace was rewelded.. this is a very much needed step to make this work.. this cross piece will also serve as a mount for the brake pedal return spring..  the original mounting hole was cut off when i enlarged the column mounting bracket..

you can see how much i had to cut out of the column support based on the shiny grinded metal..  i wasnt pleased with how low the column was sitting under the dash so i cut and trimmed in small doses till i was able to get it up enough to where it was in the stock columns location.. sorry, no before photos..

here is another..

and another..

here is the column removed again for final welding of my square base plate..

and another..

and here it is bolted up in its home..  i still have to sand blast and paint all the associated parts but i am still just test fitting everything at this point..

and one more from the inside..  although it doesnt look like much, its been a pain in the butt to get to this point..  i think that column has been in and out of the truck over 40 times..

and the result..  all the way down.

and all the way up..

i still have to build a strap for the underside of the column to bolt to the dash and make a mount for the spring that puts tension on the lever that controls the tilt but this is minor...  i am hoping this is done this weekend along with a few other odds and ends..

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2010, 10:47:25 AM »
Thanks for the update! :thumbs:
Huge Kudos for adding the 60 series steering column.

Quote: "although it doesnt look like much, its been a pain in the butt to get to this point..  i think that column has been in and out of the truck over 40 times.."

I can relate, all the hard work was worth it, once you get some paint on that column, its gonna look like it came from the factory this way. I really like rigs like yours that have upgrades that look like factory options, well done!

By the way, are those heater vents coming off of your dash next to the cluster and glovebox?
Mike

87hillbillyoter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Mar '10
  • git er duuunnn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2010, 11:52:29 AM »
i love it! sweet build man. keep up the good work
:usa:
1987 SAS'ed toyota 4x4 pickup 22re swap
build up- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75111.0
:usa:

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2010, 02:17:17 PM »
thanks guys for the good words...  i think a lot of what happens here in the landcruiser section of this forum shows a lot of good overall ideas from everyone..  i am just glad that i can hopefully add to them..

and yes, dooner those are factory heater side window vents..  they arent very effective but they at least they keep a little bit of the window clear during the winter so i can at least use my side mirror..

more updates hopefully in a few days.. too busy right now to report..

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2010, 12:38:19 AM »
so i am going to be saving my pennies for a toybox this winter...  i cant see myself not doing one for this truck as i still believe that this is the most economical solution to make my cruiser crawl.  this combined with my 3b diesel will give me the ability to pull houses over.. :thumbs:
 my first priority though is to just get the truck back on the road but i have another complete h55f/splitcase on my floor that would great with a toybox in the middle so when it was time i could just swap with my drivetrain thats already in there.....   there seems to be a bit of confusion to what is actually in stock now adays though and cruiser dave is that mythical person that everyone says works for marlin but can never be gotton ahold of..  hmmmmm    :dunno:
 i sure would like to see an update on what has been happening with all the toybox stuff lately..  i am more interested in just what applies to me such as a h55f/splitcase combo..  i want to build this one my self so all i would need is the front adapter, rear adapter and the 4.7s..

this all being said, i have started building/resizing front and rear driveshafts so it will help me get my axles in the proper position so i can weld my spring perches permanently..  the steering column is pretty much done.. i will have pics soon of how everything turned out..  i really miss my cruiser and being that my buddies let me drive theirs it sure is encouragement to get mine on the road again!!!

874runnertoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:27:31 AM »
man nice keep up the the good work :thumbs:

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2010, 01:37:47 AM »
finally got the steering column done this weekend and am now starting with the rear axle and driveshaft..  i had to finish extending the nose of the column another 1.5 inches so i could get everything the proper length.. 

here is the piece of tubing that i used to extend the front nose of the steering column.   i needed the column to be 1.5 inches longer

here it is all in place for yet another test fit.. i was quite happy to be at this point..

here is a small 1/4 inch washer that i welded to the top of the column so the spring for the tilt lever would have something to hook onto..

this is another test fit with the column in the dash..  you can see how tight everything is..  the other spring peeking through towards the back is the brake pedal return spring..  it will now get hooked onto here..

and here is one of the "wings" that i welded to the side of the column so it can be bolted to the underside of the dash..

pretty much the last test fit and final assembly shot..  very happy with how it turned out..

closer shot of the same thing

a good underdash shot of everything bolted up..

there is the wiring end of things yet but i will tackle that when the rest of the fabricating is done..

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2010, 05:40:28 AM »
Lookin good FJR
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2011, 09:54:14 PM »
SHA-ZAM!!!

i will start with the u-bolt plates that i made..  i didnt want to spend the money at rough stuff specialties and then have to wait a week on top of it all so i just made these.. they are made from 3/8 thick plate that i had lying around...

started with plasma cutting the plates out.. plasma cutters=happy

and then i tacked all my plates together so i can build these quicker.. i originally had 4 tacked together but my drill press doesnt like cutting through thick material with a 5/8 drill bit too much...

dont ever let those shavings from your drill bit get too long while letting them whirl around your drill bit while you were cutting..  one long whirling strand got caught around my finger while working and ripped through my work glove and finger pretty quick...  no stitches this time.. whew!

and here are the plates all cut and drilled..  i used the band saw and made a deep cut on both ends and then pounded them up to 45 degrees.

i then put a pass of weld in the gap that opened from bending the ends up and painted them up and viola!

here is Rank with the box off and getting ready to work on the entire back end of the frame..   i sure am tempted to put a tube flatdeck back there and use my box as a trailer!!

here is the box.. it was heavy..  

what we found in both back frame rails.. it was quite bad..

but they both cleaned up super nice and benp did an excellent job cleaning everything up.. everything got painted before the new frame patch panels got tacked into place.. check out the new u-bolt plates!!
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2011, 08:51:19 PM by fj-rankenstein »