Author Topic: t100 vs 4runner tcase questions  (Read 8654 times)

digitalferg

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '03
  • CruiserHead for Life
    • View Profile
t100 vs 4runner tcase questions
« on: Aug 05, 2010, 12:40:43 AM »
I've been searching all over hell and back trying to figure out if its possible to get a the tcase from behind an A340F out of a 3.4l T100 (aka ~95-98) and get it to bolt up to the auto A340F out of a 3.4l 3rd Gen 4Runner.  Basically I'm trying to swap the 4runner to a passenger side front output case, but to stay as stock as possible by using the chain case and not have to get an adapter and go to the gear case.

From the info I've gathered around the nets the past week or so I've been searching, the answers I've found are

a) it might just bolt up (i'm skeptical); or
b) you can swap the tail-housing from the A340F auto from the 3.4l t100 over to the A340F auto from the 3.4l 4runner and then the t100 case will bolt right up; or
c) not possible. you have to swap the 3.4l t100 A340F with the tcase.

So, what say ye?  And nybody have any pics or schematics of these that could help me (and I'm sure plenty of others out there) understand more clearly?

-Ferg-
2003 DoubleCab Tacoma

dyogim

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Jun '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Re: t100 vs 4runner tcase questions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2010, 09:17:31 AM »
Hope this helps.  The pic shows 3 transfer cases VF2B and VF2BM.  

Starting from the left:
- ADD xfer case came from a 00 tundra V8 Auto, was bolted to an A340F tranny.
- middle, manual xfer case came from 00-03 taco, not sure which specific model it came from.
- right, manual xfer casecame from a manual 2.7 03 taco.

All three cases are the same and would have bolted to the A340F with no problem.  I installed the middle one recently and have had no issues.  

You can use the pics to try and see if the bolt patterns are the same as the T100 xfer case.  If you need a close-up pic with a ruler to help with scaling, let me know.

digitalferg [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '03
  • CruiserHead for Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2010, 03:55:26 AM »
Thanks for the post!

So I've found this thread on Toyota Trail Riders where a guy SASd his tacoma and used a t100 case...he mentions issues with the shift rails (T100 forward shift vs. Taco top-shift), the coupling and of course the tail housing.  However, he mentions at one point that he may have to use the t100 tranny to get it all to work.  But, I couldn't figure out exactly what he ended up doing, so I've posted up there looking for an answer as well.  If he did have to swap trannies, my next problem is that one of the posts I read somewhere (ttora perhaps?) seemed to indicate that the A340F in the 3rd Gen 4Runner was different than the A340F in the Tacoma and that the T100 case would actually work behind the A340F in the 3rd Gen 4Runner, but _not_ behind the A340F in the Tacoma.

A few searches on car-part.com using various years 4wd/AT 3rd Gen 4Runners and 4wd/AT 1st Gen Tacomas seemed to indicate the tranny and t-case could _not_ swap between the two, so that seems to indicate there are some differences between the Taco A340F and the 3rd Gen A340F....?  I was actually thinking they would be the interchangeable...anybody know the difference(s)?

Any light anybody could care to shed on this topic would be GREATLY appreciated...

-Ferg-
2003 DoubleCab Tacoma

digitalferg [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '03
  • CruiserHead for Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2010, 03:55:56 AM »
And I've also found this post on TTORA that i believe to be the same guy as in that Toyota Trail Riders thread, but in this post he indicated the tranny/tcase combo he used was from behind a 3.0...

So I'm back to believing that the key to this working still hinges on the 3.4L versions...

And a side note that I've just thought about...the T100 case that guy has pics of is CLEARLY a chain driven case.  From behind the 3.0...  Maybe the only thing that changed in the T100 between years is the engine (from 3.0 to 3.4) and they kept the same auto and tcase?--I did see a thread where somebody said that, but it just seemed off...  However, of course, a search on car-part.com for transfer case for 4wd T100 seems to indicate that the ~'95+ is not interchangeable with the earlier T100 case....

Man I can't wait til this is all figured out.  :P :D
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2010, 11:20:41 AM by theferg »
2003 DoubleCab Tacoma

SocalWheeler71

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 269
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Trail rig is back up and running... yay trail rig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2010, 11:16:46 AM »
I have an A340F and t-case out of a 97 3.4 T100. The case I have will NOT swap onto a Taco A340F. The tailhousing is different (pattern and length), and so is the tailshaft (length and reluctor wheel). The T100 case looks like it will bolt up to a 3.0L R150.

Your only option may be to swap the entire tranny and case, but you may have to change the tailshaft speed sensor and reluctor wheel. The Taco 3.4 uses a 4 prong setup and the T100 3.4 setup uses a 2 prong setup.

EDIT- The 2 prong/4 prong split may have to do with the year, and not the drop of the t-case. It's possible that there is an early version and then a late version after a year split, but I'm not sure about this. The best way to tell is to look at the tailhousing, as the casting for the speed sensor mount is integral and seems to indicate which reluctor wheel it has. The two prong tailhousing is about 6.25" long with a flat bottom along the tcase flange, and the 4 prong is about 5.625" long, with a sloped bottom flange.

EDIT #2- I just noticed your sig line says  2002 4runner, which most likely has a 4 prong speed sensor. IMHO I think you should just pony up for a IW Lefty case, then you won't have to deal with the exhaust. I realise that you probobly want to use a passenger drop axle like a stock Toy axle for a SAS, but trust me, just get a driver drop diamond housing if you're going that route. You'll solve the driver drop, housing strength, scrub radius, and axle width issues all in one shot. I'm dealing with a bent front toy housing right now.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2010, 11:53:14 AM by SocalWheeler71 »

digitalferg [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '03
  • CruiserHead for Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2010, 07:25:19 PM »
Thanks for the info SocalWheeler71.  By any chance, did you physically inspect the T100 donor your trany and tcase came out of?  I've got a guy in another forum telling me that there is no such thing as an A340F tranny from behind a 3.4L that came factory with a passenger drop.  He's saying that when the T100 went to 3.4L with the A340F, it came with a drivers side drop tcase.  All the info I'm finding out there in internet land is saying otherwise...  So since yours had this combo, is your t100 case a passenger drop?  Any chance you have any pics of the truck, tranny, tcase or anything?

I hear what you're saying about the IW lefty.  It was my first thought.  It's so simple.  But the build I'm planning is already not so simple.  I'm swappin 80 series LC axles front and rear using the factory 80 series coils and links (as much as is possible of course).  My rig is not a crawler and the factory 80 series axles are plenty heavy duty for what I need/want.  I won't be bending any axle tubes unless I get into a wreck or jump 50 ft off a dune or something--and I've prob got bigger probs at that point than a bent axle tube.  :D  (and before another tangent starts, yes I am familiar with the off-center diff on the 80 series rear--its really not that far off-center and running it to a centered tcase output is not a big deal).

So since I'll be using the factory 80 series front, I'll be needing to go to a passenger front drop.  And after my initial searches regarding the the T100 tcase, it was sounding like there may be one that could just bolt up to the A340F in my 4Runner and retain stock length and position etc etc as far as the tranny and tcase goes.  I am still unconvinced either way as nobody has shown real proof, only a few people stating what they know from their swaps etc.  However, there are two other ways which I would be ok with doing if the T100 case doesn't work--an A343F/HF2AV out of the LC 80 and convert the case to part time, or get the marlin or IW adapter and run a gear driven tcase.

Again, my rig is not going to be a crawler.  It would be nice to have lower gearing in a tcase, but its not something I need for my rig.  I will be running a max of 35s (but will probably stick with 33s) and a very mild lift.  (The closest thing to what I want to do is PinkTaco's rig).

-Ferg-
2003 DoubleCab Tacoma

BeerHat

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2010, 07:01:07 AM »
Another option is to have marlin build a 'righty' (top shift gear driven with the chromoly 30 spline outputs, 4.7s) and use an a340f adapter.
Toyota Trail Riders

SocalWheeler71

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 269
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Trail rig is back up and running... yay trail rig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2010, 07:03:06 AM »
Yes my T100 case is passenger drop. All T100's are PD.

Jomentum

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 62
  • Member since Jul '08
  • Toyota Tech.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2010, 09:01:07 PM »
X2 my T100 is a 3.4~ A340F =all T100's right drop chain
Getting ready to do a crawl box (someday)
I swapped out the VF1A Forward shift, for a top shift, VF1A from a 92 4Runner R150F 5 speed.

Used original coupling and it bolted right up

YOu would need the tailshaft housing and coupling, from a T100 to make it work..

97 T100 3.4 auto with Chevy 10 bolt/44 front, sassed 6" lift
4:56's locked front/rear 36x14.50x15's
My Truck :   http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62122.0
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76817
Home away from home:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105227